Kona explosif, Decisions decisions ....

enc

Kona Fan
I picked up a (very) tatty but 95 percent original explosif. It's a 91 model with full Deore DX group set, inc hubs.
good original, ding free, Tange oval tubed frame. paint is faded with a few but minor rust spots. decals are in amazingly good condition. Velocity stem, and project two forks need refurb as do the Kona 165 bars. everything else is in very good condition ... Just requiring a deep clean to make good. Tyres are panaracer smoke out back and specialized ground control up front ... Both skinwalls in very good condition. I bought it to strip for parts but the frame's in great condition when you look beyond the grime :D It's actually a decent project base with lots of potential.

Here's my conundrum ....

Do I strip it for parts ( for my current Kona project) as originally intended and move on what's left ? Or do I make it a mini project cleaning refurbing then sell on complete ??

Re:

Keep the lot and then you'll have two lovely Konas to build and if you didn't need that ground control tyre it'd look lovely on my 89 Team Stumpjumper :D

Attachments

• IMAG0069_1_1.jpg
    IMAG0069_1_1.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 419
Good parts on a good frame is a shame to split. That said if two go nicely into one you still end up with good parts on on a on a good frame, better probably.
Who needs two bikes the same?

Re:

Daft question, why not sell the Cinder Cone and keep the Explosif? The Explosif is a better starting point for a big project. Also do you want ALL the donor bits? If not why tart it up and sell it on and buy exactly what you want?

Re: Re:

Spanky22b":225dhuhj said:
Keep the lot and then you'll have two lovely Konas to build and if you didn't need that ground control tyre it'd look lovely on my 89 Team Stumpjumper :D

:LOL: :LOL:

RickTheUncivil":3p6pmmb4 said:
Good parts on a good frame is a shame to split. That said if two go nicely into one you still end up with good parts on on a on a good frame, better probably.
Who needs two bikes the same?

agreed :D

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":3fmmouox said:
Daft question, why not sell the Cinder Cone and keep the Explosif? The Explosif is a better starting point for a big project. Also do you want ALL the donor bits? If not why tart it up and sell it on and buy exactly what you want?

its not a daft question ;) ...

I dont want to sell the cindercone ... as a project i'm in to deep with it ..... and enjoying it.

Yes the explosif is a better frame but, i dont like the colour and couldn't live with it long term and its too good to repaint/re decal.

at the moment im thinking take the parts i want from the explosif ... cranks, front and rear mech, head set, seat skewer and tyres maybe wheels and replace them with parts i was going to use on the cindercone... re furb the forks and stem, clean up the rest and sell it on. At this stage i really dont need or want 4 bikes :shock: :LOL:

Had a little run out on it earlier ... front brake sticks .... cables need replacing or freeing up... gears work ok but would benefit from a decent service/cable replacement.

Back