Kona Ku

theboy

Senior Retro Guru
Can anyone give me any info on these - numbers produced, years made etc? and any owners (or pics stolen from the web!)?

Ta, theboy.

Thanks guys, Id seen those bikepedia pages, and the catalogues on here, but I was wondering how many they built, where they were built, if any are around on here and id like to see some pics!

TTFN!

I think they were just like a Kula really, except US-built and custom-painted. Same tubes, same weight, according to the 1996 catalogue and the 97 tech specs, except the Ku had Easton Elite stays but the Kula had generic 7005 stays.

If any were built in 1995, I don't know who built them. Tom Teesdale says he was still building the Hot then, but he doesn't say he ever built any Kus. From 1996, Altitude Cycles (formed after Mountain Goat closed) built them and then after that folded, from early 97 a new firm called Enigma Design and Manufacturing took over the contract. One of the principals contributed to a thread on here and said that their contract was to build 50 Kus and 50 Hots. I guess that was probably the production run for some of the 97 model year and the (final) 98 model year. The paint was done by a company called Velographics in Washington State, nearby the Kona offices I guess.

Here are some pictures, including the one Jez referred to.

Attachments

• 1998 Ku size 17.jpg
    1998 Ku size 17.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 3,810
  • 1997 Ku frame size 14 weight 3lbs.jpg
    1997 Ku frame size 14 weight 3lbs.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3,811
  • 1996 Ku frame size 18.jpg
    1996 Ku frame size 18.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 3,811
  • 1996 Ku frame size 16 1.45kg.jpg
    1996 Ku frame size 16 1.45kg.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 3,811
Here's an abstract from a 1995 magazine article, so I'm guessing they did make them in 95.

Kona Ku
Article Abstract:

Kona Mountain Bikes' new Ku series is a moderately-priced high-performance line of mountain bikes. The Ku boasts of a light, rigid frame, top-rate components and race ready configuration.

author: Zahradnik, Fred
Publisher: Rodale, Inc.
Publication Name: Bicycling
Subject: Sports and fitness
ISSN: 0006-2073
Year: 1995

Some more pics:

yhfl3q.jpg

yhvhqf.jpg

yhft4a.jpg

I've never really got into Alu frames but I am warming to them now. I'd love a Ku to build up as a superfast top end bike...but can we really trust an aluminium frame that is 11-14 years old? I don't know? Some of them would make great wall art though!

That first one Anthony posted looks like a 95 to me, assuming decals are original.

Back