Lock down fun - autopsy on eBay bargain Dawes Galaxy

epicyclo

Senior Retro Guru
When you're planning a cull, it's probably best not to look on eBay.

This is the bargain I just got. To be fair, I've had my eye out for canti Galaxy for a while.

The bike came from Plockton which is right on the sea, and the pics showed plenty rust, and the wheels were very obviously rooted, so is it a disaster, or not?

Well, that's what lockdowns are for. Let's find out.

Anyone want to make predictions about which components will be irretrievably stuck?

More to come...

Re:

I’m predicting a massive crack and possibly sparks when you try to undo those chainring bolts.

Re:

Soak the whole thing in a bath of citric acid. You may want to read up about citric acid or Bilt Hamber Deox C stuff

Re:

What's with the front brake ?
What maniac would try and use suicide levers to pull a v-brake, nothing would happen !!!
Bottom bracket will be the b**ger that'll no budge but as long as you eventually wrestle the non drive side off you can get it working again.
Dawes Galaxy's are great, I've had 2 though both the caliper brake models. Earlier versions were entirely 531, but later were a mix of tubing.
Great all rounder and good gravel bikes which will suit you Brian but don't spoil it with hub gears or single speed it's supposed to have derailleurs :D

Velo, it’s got a derailleur.
Only problem is that it seems to be missing a cassette!

clubby":j0f7qj78 said:
Velo, it’s got a derailleur.
Only problem is that it seems to be missing a cassette!
Derailleur? Oops, it fell off.

Also the seller contacted me after the sale to tell me I'd forgotten to pick up one part. Jamie will immediately guess what it was - the freewheel/cassette. :)

Sorry to disappoint Velo, but a hub gear is what it will get. I haven't got the intellectual capacity to operate one of those dangly chain tangler things.

The reason it's taken so long for me to get a Galaxy was finding one with the canti brakes, the narrow rear end suitable for a hub gear, and the long forward dropouts. Only happened for a couple of years with that precise combo.

The signs of corrosion were everywhere

The internals of the hubs were totally stuffed as well.

Pretty much what you'd expect from a bike from beside the sea.

Definitely a project bike. :)

Back