Long cage Super Record mech’

Way back in 1983/4 Uk Cyclist magazine featured a rear derailleur test done by the American Frank Berto . The Campagnolo Super/Nuovo shifting was rated as fair and were near the bottom on the performance points chart . Shimano, Huret Suntour were near or at the top .
I bought Frank's book "TheDancing chain" many years later . It gave tips on how to improve the shifting on the Campag derailleurs mentioned above . I tried these for instance using a nine speed chain on a Dura ace 7400 seven block with new jockey wheels . These made a definite improvement but we are all getting older and looking for larger rear sprockets so the capacity of these old Campagnolo derailleurs is limiting . In the USA a company makes an extended cage to extend the capacity of these racing rear mechs and many derailleurs get converted .

Way back in 1983/4 Uk Cyclist magazine featured a rear derailleur test done by the American Frank Berto . The Campagnolo Super/Nuovo shifting was rated as fair and were near the bottom on the performance points chart . Shimano, Huret Suntour were near or at the top .
I bought Frank's book "TheDancing chain" many years later . It gave tips on how to improve the shifting on the Campag derailleurs mentioned above . I tried these for instance using a nine speed chain on a Dura ace 7400 seven block with new jockey wheels . These made a definite improvement but we are all getting older and looking for larger rear sprockets so the capacity of these old Campagnolo derailleurs is limiting . In the USA a company makes an extended cage to extend the capacity of these racing rear mechs and many derailleurs get converted .
I agree with the assessment of Campagnolo inline derailleurs regarding performance post-Sun Tour's drop/offset/slant mechs. The Campagnolo inlines all essentially have the same performance from Gran Sport to C Record. My favorite "early" Campagnolo RD would be the Athena relating to better shifting and and gear range. When I use a Sun Tour FW with the bevelled teeth the shifting is improved for Campagnolo (et al.) inline mechs over a standard Regina or Everest/Caimi FW that the Nuovo and Super Record units were often paired with. I would take the Athena over Nuovo, Super, and C Record, as well as Croce d'Aune and 1st gen Chorus even though it is considered a lower tier mech by Campagnolo, it blows all the others away in performance (and ot can easily be lightened by swapping steel pulley cage plate with an alloy one. Still as noted Sun Tour was way ahead of the game in performance compared to Campagnolo who were a good 10 to 15 years behind Sun Tour on the performance curve.

Last edited:
Back