Long cranks.

I raced with 177.5 cranks but during the winter months I used 170mm cranks because I didn't want to wreck my good kit and was constrained by cost. The only possible difference I noticed was in climbing, as soon as we swapped to summer bikes I crested climbs at the front of the groups that I'd been trailing on winter bikes the previous weekend. It could well have been a psychosomatic effect though. I used three different length cranks on 4-5 bikes (165, 170 7 177.5) and really noticed no difference other then the aforementioned climbing. I've now got 175mm on all three of my bikes for no particular reason other than I bought some to match the setup on an existing road bike and the other bike (a full-sus mtb) I just rode what was on it when I bought it - from the ride I'd assumed that it had 165 or 170 - it was something of a surprise to find that it also had 175mm.

I prefer 170/172,5 because I feel it is easier to keep up a quick cadence with a shorter crank. Perhaps longer cranks give more leverage. I have some 185mm TA Carmina cranks that I am supposed to sell for my dad, I may try them for a ride, just to see what its like. EDIT I am 6 2

Last edited:
The more I see this subject pop up, the more I think it’s down to what you’re comfortable with. Of course, if you’re taller or shorter, physiologically you’ll be more more suited to longer or shorter cranks because of the length of your limbs. But plenty of people prefer cranks outside of the norms.

I’m bang smack in the middle at 5’10. My daily is a track bike with 165mm cranks and I’ve been using that crankset since about 2010. I’m used to that crankset because I’ve probably done 30-40,000 miles on it. My mtb and cargo bikes both have 175mm mtb cranks. Almost all mtb cranks are 175mm. They always ‘feel’ too big for me, like I’m having to wang my legs up and down too much, probably not helped by the fact that they’re wide. But my track cranks feel small and twiddly for a short while when I switch back to that bike. I always felt my 170mm road cranks were probably the sweet spot for me.

Amazing! I’ve never seen that page before. Enjoyed that!

The more I see this subject pop up, the more I think it’s down to what you’re comfortable with. Of course, if you’re taller or shorter, physiologically you’ll be more more suited to longer or shorter cranks because of the length of your limbs. But plenty of people prefer cranks outside of the norms.

I’m bang smack in the middle at 5’10. My daily is a track bike with 165mm cranks and I’ve been using that crankset since about 2010. I’m used to that crankset because I’ve probably done 30-40,000 miles on it. My mtb and cargo bikes both have 175mm mtb cranks. Almost all mtb cranks are 175mm. They always ‘feel’ too big for me, like I’m having to wang my legs up and down too much, probably not helped by the fact that they’re wide. But my track cranks feel small and twiddly for a short while when I switch back to that bike. I always felt my 170mm road cranks were probably the sweet spot for me.

Amazing! I’ve never seen that page before. Enjoyed that!
1714216924905.png
This wide?

Longer cranks suit a slower cadence, so they feel better out of the saddle.
Shorter cranks suit spinning so beloved of data munchers - its more efficient.
.. higher cadence puts your joints under less stress.

But you want the crank length to match your leg to a certain degree.
Around 5'10 is between 170&175 - but in so many ways, it doesn't really matter.
unless you've just paid for a bike fit😉

As a rule your body will be acclimatised to the cranks you already ride, so it's only worth changing them if you're uncomfortable.

Back