MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

Hello Willie Wombat, please do not take this badly but I only deal with retrobikers I know. I as yet do not know you and I would need to feel you were an established member with a good track record before I would deal with you. However chances are the forks are unlikely to go anywhere for a while. Sorry but maybe later down the line.

Hello Willie Wombat, please do not take this badly but I only deal with retrobikers I know. I as yet do not know you and I would need to feel you were an established member with a good track record before I would deal with you. However chances are the forks are unlikely to go anywhere for a while. Sorry but maybe later down the line.

No problem VM .. thanks for getting back to me anyhow .. you seem like a decent fellow and I understand fully .
It's true I'm not a regular on here but I am and have been a bike builder/enthusiast for decades. Not that it means anything but I have frequented Singletrackworld for almost 20 years ( Kaiser) with thousands of posts.
IIRC "Ton" ( Big Northern fellow) has connections here and he knows me as a longtime fellow enthusiast if credentials were required.
Out of interest do you only deal with people who are retro enthusiasts or simply it's my small number of posts that are the issue ?
Most of my bikes are just outside the 97? Retro status .
Apologies if I'm asking too many questions .. just curious really and please feel free to ignore!
If/when you do feel I am ok (! ) and you are happy to sell the forks please get in touch with a price if the steerer is long .
I have a Pugsley btw that I've just completely restored but sadly unsure if I will be able to use it as hoped because the Q factor is giving my ancient knees a lot of problems.
All the best ..Bill in Exeter. IMG_20210905_114040617~2.jpg

So, does nobody ride fat bikes any more? :-(

Andy

Although I have been dabbling in Retrobike for many years I have only just found this fat bike thread!

I sold all my skinny bikes and now only ride fat. :)

Salsa Mulkuk carbon
Sonder Vir Fortis carbon
Surly ICT
Surly Big Fat Dummy cargo, with Bafang mid drive

Got a 4th Ican carbon I'm building up to sell (using up spare parts) and an On One Fatty for sale. Need to bring in some cash to offset the twelve wheelsets!!

I live near Kinross and spend a lot of the winter in Aviemore: fat biking heaven!

Sure, some of the wheel sets are 29er and 29er+ so I'm not fully fat all the time. I like the high Q factor as it helps my hips, and I like the comfort, and not having to bother with suspension. Not that fat is the same as suspension. It's no where near, we know that. But now that I'm old and slow I'm happy with rigid forks and a bit of cushion.

TeeCee. (No longer have ten bikes!)

You should come along to the "Baltic Bawbags" ride, usually at Dunkeld sometime over the winter, steady pace & chance of some snow, perfect for Fat Bikes.

Sounds good, but probably not this coming winter because in January I have to have remedial surgery on a broken leg which was badly set in July. I have missed the summer, and will now miss the winter! Might get a ride in during March, but obviously I won't be firing on all cylinders. I'm fact I'll be very very unfit, only just back on my feet if all goes well. Which it didn't on the first op!

Hey TeeCee
Hope you get all mended up soon and maybe meet up as I am up north but ride the west coast and Aviemore parts of the world with Brian (epicyclo) all the time on all sorts of Fatbikes, cargo bikes, mtbs and randonneurs :)
We were out this weekend for GFBD round the Puffer course out of Contin.
I have my 2010 Pugsley and Brian has various Pugslies, Mukluk, Shands and Ican carbon Fatties. My son (12) joined us for the first time at Contin on his Baby Fatty.
Good to see you have a BFD too. I just sold my Big Dummy last year as my son outgrew it but we had it for a long time and it had a later Pugsley front end and a semi fat rear as it was a first gen swoop model. Now have a Bullitt cargo bike which still does some off road even without the fatness :)
My Pugs shares the off road with my 1X1 which runs Dirt Wizards which can do 90% of what the Pugs can but at a lighter weight. Still gotta love my Pugs. It is run and raced (though I use that term very loosely) singlespeed and thought on the weekend of putting some gears on it as I have had stashed away for many years a 9 speed cassete, Sunrace thumbshifter and a long cage XT mech waiting for the day I cross over to the dark side ;)
Though at about 10 or 11 years now I think I may be used to it :)
Love to see photos of them all

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5580 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

AP5Y9781 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN1523 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN0871 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

A quick update as I'm heading to bed......busy day tomorrow.

The foot which was set twenty degrees out of alignment is now almost back where it should be. Healing has been very slow and 7 months down the line I'm slowly regaining some fitness .

I'll post up some photos of the bikes over the weekend.

I'll be in Aviemore for much of the winter with XC skis and fat bikes, and studded tyres. Having missed last winter I'll be keen to make up lost time....

TC

Hi TC
Hope you are gearing up for the winter as I think it has already poked its head around the corner up here.
Well I finally did it, after the 11 or 12 years being solely singlespeed I finally mounted the XT derailleur and a 12/34 cassette to the Pugs and took it out into the flow country today. Brilliant, ran and shifted like a charm so may keep it for a while. Am heading down to Ben Wyvis tomorrow with Brian so will maybe try it out round the Puffer course, though unless it is snowing or heavy mud I always prefer my 1X1 with 3" Dirt Wizards in those big hills. :)

Jamie

Latest posts

Back