MacRetro Ride in April - Loch Leven circuit provisionally Saturday 9th April, 10 for 1030am start.

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Tentsmuir is Kaput, see Clubby's post below🙁

I need something cycling to aim at for April now that Spring seems to have sprung. I have Reyt Pack in May to recreate, badly, the original Repack race but not in California, no better, in Yorkshire. In June I have the York Cycle Rally where I'll lounge with the Retrobike nutters, talk toot and oggle the bicycles. However I feel the need for an April MacRetro ride just because😊

Based on what I believe was the most popular choice from the limited replies its going to be:-
Loch Leven circuit, provisionally on Saturday 9th April, meeting from 10am for 1030am start at a start point as yet to be nailed down. OCP will be our guide sort of thing and will help me figure out best place to start from though I think it's somewhere in Kinross unless I'm as clueless as I feel. Mention of pub lunches has been made and there is no technical terrain unless we divert some where, again I am clueless not being a Fifer😎

Last edited:
Not wanting to be a doom-monger but there are no trails left at Tentsmuir. The three big storms destroyed everything. Totally flattened all the trees along the shoreline, smothering all the sweet Singletrack. Fire roads obviously still passable but not much fun.

couple of options from me
Fife coastal path Eastwards (last time was west wards)
Could possibly my xc/gravel route from pitemedden to the glenfarg railway tunnels (needs to be dry) - so maybe one for may

OCP is also going to suggest a couple of options.

Coolio, my suggestion is the Sidlaws as I remember last time we did it, although I'd need Clubby on board for that as he knows his way around. There is of course Velo's trails but Midlothian has a tendancy towards mud in spring or pretty much any time of year if I'm honest😉

I was going to suggest doing the Loch Leven trail since I thought you were looking for somewhere relatively flat like Tentsmuir, saves oor auld legs.
We did it for Rob's birthday a few years ago. Best done at this time of year before all the flies start hatching out of the loch.
It's not got proper trails though but it's a decent run with plenty of options for food and drink on route, there's even a newish brewery in Kinross at the Green which has had gazebos/tents up last couple of years so folk could have a pint taking Covid in to account.

The brewery is actually a converted public bog, it's not a piss up in a brewery but a brewery in a piss-hoose.....;)

SOLD😁
OCP's idea gets my vote and somewhere I have never ridden despite having passed Loch Leven more times than I could ever count in my life.

have to admit that does sound rather nice. we could also explore port moak again to tag it on. pub lunch sounds a grand idea.
What weekend are we talking about?

2 to 3rd, 9 to 10th, 16 to 17th are the first three weekends in April. I think we should do our usual narrow down of these dates but ensure OCP is available as it's his idea.

I'm free any weekend in April as far as I know.

so as a provisional ride calander

April - Loch Leven pub lunch ride
May - Sidlaws
June - Glenfarg tunnels
July - ??
August - ??

clubby and I were talking yesterday (whilst he was able to breath and not blowing out his @rse) about maybe trying to do an overnighte/weekender perhaps round Ballater/Braemar to do heartbreak ridge etc if there was interest for a summer ride

Back