My Italian and Belgian bikes

I am always late to the party: a great collection and as a Max fan I am deeply envious.😍. Is the Simoncini Columbus SLX with a Max fork?

Nice collection- particularly the Tommasini! I can see you're a fan of 28mm wide tyres. How do you find the handling on the traditional narrower rims? I've changed up from 23 to 25/26mm, but not convinced it's a good idea to now go further!

Sorry for late reply, but yes @Fifthgrace i am fully converted to wider tyres even on older narrower rims, and have now converted nearly all of my road bikes to 28's.

They definitely offer more ride comfort over 23's and 25's i used to run, so i won't be going back. Besides the roads where I am are in a terrible state and seemingly getting worse so any extra cushioning is welcome.

So yes if they fit in your frame (the rear is usually the pinch point) I would recommend 28's. Note on 1 of my frames the rear wheel does not fit in the drop outs with the rear fully inflated. I forgot this last time i punctured on that bike, and I only have a micro pump so after getting a headrush after pumping it up, I had to deflate it and then put wheel in frame and then pump it up again, by which time I was knackered and ready for a nap :)

Last edited:
Again sorry for tardy reply, but thanks @DSH , and yes that's right, the Simoncini has a SLX.frame and a Max fork. Frame came with an old carbon fork, but I found the red Max fork on ebay a few years later and it's the perfect match.

And yes as a 90kg unit I love Max, especially for forks. And as it happens this week I've just collected a new straight bladed Max fork I just had made, as Columbus started selling it again. And I also got a new steerer.and a rechrome on an old set of curved bladed Max fork too :)
1000013155.jpg
1000013124.jpg
Hopefully I will.finish building up my ti Merckx with the straight bladed one this weekend, so come back for pics next week.

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply, but yes @Fifthgrace i am fully converted to wider tyres even on older narrower rims, and have now converted nearly all of my road bikes to 28's.

They definitely offer more ride comfort over 23's and 25's i used to run, so i won't be going back. Besides the roads where I am are in a terrible state and seemingly getting worse so any extra cushioning is welcome.

So yes if they fit in your frame (the rear is usually the pinch point) I would recommend 28's. Note on 1 of my frames the rear wheel does not fit in the drop outs with the rear fully inflated. I forgot this last time i punctured on that bike, and I only have a micro pump so after getting a headrush after pumping it up, I had to deflate it and then put wheel in frame and then pump it up again, by which time I was knackered and ready for a nap :)
I found moving to 25mm makes a bike a little more vague when steering, but I was happy with that compromise for the extra comfort afforded. I will give 28mm a go when I next tyre change! Noted ref frame pinch points...

Finished a total overhaul on my 1996 ti Merckx. New Max fork above added, new wheelset, Chorus hubs 28h front and 32h rear, Sapim spokes laced to H+son Archetype rims with the horrible logos removed, running on 30c tyres.

Converted to a triple and found a NOS Chorus shifters and crankset, long cage Record derailleur and silvery bits where possible.
1000013206.jpg 1000013208.jpg

Latest posts

Back