Need a Shimano STX RC Crank or ring set

claska

Dirt Disciple
I've been referred here as I understand this is the last place on the internet that people care about keeping our old timers alive and on the road. Well I need a Shimano STX RC crank set or even just the rings - it came off my Trek 4900 mountain bike from early 2000. Its a 4 arm crank that goes on a BB with square tapers. FC-MC40 175 length

What I care about is keeping the bike functional - the problem is that the spacing of the bottom pull front mech requires a pretty odd crank with the rings attached together in an unconventional way. Happy to get a compatible crank with another front mech if it matches.

Attachments

• stx rc crank.JPG
    stx rc crank.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,485
Thanks !

If you find them - do you think they would have some life in them, mine are skipping like crazy in the middle and bigs. This is an FC-MC40

ref cranks

naturally Just replacing the rings will be the cheapest option, especially on postage

but if you get stuck I've GOT a good stx RC crank (MC3:cool: set that I'm willing to part with, it is however a year or two older than yours.
I only upgraded as I was offered a full Xt Groupset of the same period and couldn't resist

let me know how you get on,

and welcome to retro bike ! :D :D

The rings and or crank

Looks like DES may have one too. I'm just trying to get one that has the most life on it. Ideally would like arms too since mine are scraped up somethin' fierce !

They're standard modern day 4 arm chainrings. 104mm outer/middle and 64mm inner ring bolt circle.

You can buy them anywhere.

There is nothing odd about that chainset at all and no funny fittings. any square taper crank that fits on a 110 or 113 mm bottom bracket will be fine.

New something like this
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=46025
or in fact you could buy that and have a full set of new rings you could pinch. Might be cheaper than buying them individually.

@ fluffy chicken - my LBS tried to put on a brand new crank, but it does not align with the front derailleur. Something about the spacing with the middle ring holding the big ?? So I was trying to go least complicated route. FD is held on by a BB mounted holder. You sound confident about finding the rings - I'd be happy to do that but all I find are the small ring, but what I need is mid and big. Thx for your help I really appreciate the time you guys put in here.

It does not have have to be an STX-RC ring any that are the same dimension (i.e. most modenr 4 arm) should fit.

What chainset did they try to fit ?

Back