One bike!? What is it?

Its interesting and quite heartening to see so many of you on higher bars on your " one bike". I assumed I was in quite a minority.....and most would still be on a more level/ dropped bar.

Also interesting so few are road/ gravel setups......although the forums bias towards old mtb may very well be a clue to the shed contents used to produce them!

^ "It's interesting and quite heartening to see so many of you on higher bars on your " one bike". I assumed I was in quite a minority.....and most would still be on a more level/ dropped bar."

Presumably says something about the group demographics!

I had my one do it all bike and sold it, regretted it and now I'm trying to get a replacement, modernising and upgrading from what was available when I had it too what I can get now.

Besides that I've always struggled with only owning a bike or 2 (17atm) though I ride 2 of them... a cut down would be nice but if I sell, can I replace?

My aim is to build a 5-6 good early to mid 90s retro rigs, see which ones I click the most with, keep just them and ride them as much as I can the little time I have available for it.

So far the Yo Eddy is the one that has impressed me the most (I will update this reply with some pictures of it).

I think what sets this bike apart is the fact that you can fit in 2.5 inch tyres. If you dial in the air pressure correctly and have supple rubber (I run Maxxis) it's hard to beat the way Yos ride. Very snappy, super precise steering, yet compliant because of steel and generally a lot of fun.

The Yo puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

I think if I was going to one vintage bike it would be a drop bar modified hybrid or touring bike. If it was one mountain bike / ATB it would be a fully rigid early mid to high end steel Kona, Rocky Mountain, Brodie, etc. Although I did really enjoy riding my Zaskar when it was built up - definitely before its time, well suited to local trails and super flexible.

I'm coming round to the realisation that perhaps I have collected too many at the moment, but haven't yet decided which ones I might let go. Part of my problem is I enjoy the restoration as much as the riding and after spending so much time on them am reluctant to let them go.

I don't think I can reduce it to one single set of wheels just yet, but the three I ride most regularly would be Breezer Lightning XTR, which is refined and smooth, My Zaskar LE which is fast and, oddly enough, my 92 GT Karakoram. It's neither fast or refined, but just fun.

Back