Orange P7 & C16-R differences?

Wold Ranger":21gssdmx said:
cornholio's RC200":21gssdmx said:
Despite the F7 being a great rigid fork, the rules on here state that any '90s Orange must be fitted with Pace forks...

Just remember that when you consider your build and everything will be just fine ;) :cool:

Which was never an option, Manitous were the Suss option over rigids. The early Pace forks are totally all wrong for the frames though, as 90's Oranges always had fairly slack head angles and as Pace Forks also had their own rake built into the crown, this makes for some really sloppy flip flop handling indeed.

Although RockShox and then Manitou (from 1999) were an option (or standard fitment) on Orange bikes, Pace were always an option (as were Girvin Vectors up until about 1997). My 1998 E4 came fitted with RC36 Proclass from new. ;)
There needn't be an issue with geometry either as long as you fit forks of a similar age as the frame.

cherrybomb":3h5anxvk said:
Wold Ranger":3h5anxvk said:
cornholio's RC200":3h5anxvk said:
Despite the F7 being a great rigid fork, the rules on here state that any '90s Orange must be fitted with Pace forks...

Just remember that when you consider your build and everything will be just fine ;) :cool:

Which was never an option, Manitous were the Suss option over rigids. The early Pace forks are totally all wrong for the frames though, as 90's Oranges always had fairly slack head angles and as Pace Forks also had their own rake built into the crown, this makes for some really sloppy flip flop handling indeed.

Although RockShox and then Manitou (from 1999) were an option (or standard fitment) on Orange bikes, Pace were always an option (as were Girvin Vectors up until about 1997). My 1998 E4 came fitted with RC36 Proclass from new. ;)
There needn't be an issue with geometry either as long as you fit forks of a similar age as the frame.

Couldn't agree more. My C-16 has had Pace MXCs (45mm travel!) since new and the only trouble I've had is due to my poor bike handling skills.....

Re:

Did all P7's have a nickel finish? I'm looking at one painted silver and there doesn't
Seem to be any nickel underneath?

Re: Re:

cold steel":knllg2du said:
Did all P7's have a nickel finish? I'm looking at one painted silver and there doesn't

Great thread resurrection!

No, they were not all nickel, it was just one of the options for a few years. Don't think it cost more + looked ace so most seem to be in that finish though. Black and silver were defo options on certain years.

Re:

Thanks for the above info.
I've found some relevant catalogue info on here.

I don't think you can go wrong with either model.

Just seems the nickel plated version's didn't stand the test of time very well.

I think the nickel ones needed to be looked after a little more - leave them covered in mud in a damp garage and the rust breaks through the plating. Look after them and give an occasional rub over with a WD40 soaked rag or an annual waxing and they last well enough.
My P7 handles like a scalded cat and turns direction so fast, it's a total joy. Compared to the Clockwork the detailing is a little nicer, but I think you would struggle to tell the difference between them riding in the dark.

Re:

I think with the nickel plating you notice imperfections more, it doesn’t really scratch or scuff like regular paint would, but a small speck of rusty brown coming through stands out like a sore thumb on the mirror finish... err... finish.
Most of these bikes are 20+ yers old now, painted or plated, regular off road use will mean most will have some “patina” by now.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":67w7fidr said:
cold steel":67w7fidr said:

Great thread resurrection!

No, they were not all nickel, it was just one of the options for a few years. Don't think it cost more + looked ace so most seem to be in that finish though. Black and silver were defo options on certain years.
When I bought my P7 (‘96ish) frame there was only nickel, matt black or metallic black.
I’m not going to use this as another excuse to brag that my metallic black one is just one 5 made, apparently.

Back