Pinarello Banesto - any information greatly received!

shushuwheels

Old School Hero
Hi, looking for some info on a Pinarello frame. It is a Banesto Replica, made from Pinarello Event tubing - which I've never heard of before. Has Pinarello dropouts front and rear and some nice details. Thanks in advance!

a5fl5DF.jpg

7ASOlZw.jpg

kzlPxMV.jpg

Kty0XEd.jpg

HOTKT5p.jpg

mHgRl5W.jpg

I had a Pinarello Banesto Replica as my first road bike. Dates from 1993 and came with a variety of tube sets. Mine was Oria ML25 and I believe Pinarello's equivalent in house or "branded for them" tubeset was "Event" probably supplied by Dedacciai. My Frame was built up with Campagnolo 8 sp Avanti and Mavic Cosmic wheels, Selle Italia Flite saddle, Cinelli stem and handlebars as it was bespoke build, but the standard ex-works spec was 8sp Veloce and ITM fittings. Rode well and it's what got me into cycling and led me to buy the Team Banesto Oria ML-34 which I still ride regularly. The decals are very delicate (brittle) so treat with care when cleaning! There are some original pro Banesto Team bikes in circulation if you're interested and I did spot that one of Big Mig's Banesto Team bikes is up for sale for £17k!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-MIGUEL- ... SwwRtbbKth

There are a lot of Banesto-scheme painted bikes so it can be a little tricky to know what model Pinarelo lies beneath if it's not one of the official replicas.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I would say this is a Pinarello Vuelta. I've got the Stelvio replica (bridgeless...) with Oria ML34 and reserched a bit on those models

jordic1968":2mrjiyzu said:
I would say this is a Pinarello Vuelta. I've got the Stelvio replica (bridgeless...) with Oria ML34 and reserched a bit on those models

I've had a look ay the pics of your "Stelvio Banesto". To me its a "Team" Oria ML 34 and identical to the Banesto ML-34 except the decals. I cannot find a 1992 Pinarello Catalogue to identify whether the Stelvio was available in the line up in 1992 and whether it had the distinctive bridge (with "Pinarello" engraved on its top) and the shoulderless fork with the initials logo on the crown) that the Banesto ML-34 has. That would resolve whether its an early "Stelvio" or not. However, from 1993 onwards the Stelvio had larger Kens Pinarello Tubing, the bridge had just the initials engraved and the fork had a large chromed shoulder with Pinarello written vertically on it. The frame also had "Stelvio" on the top tube even when it had the "Banesto" paint scheme.

I've always wondered whether "Team" ML 34s were rushed out without Banesto decals as they weren't available quickly enough (was there an issue with the sponsor?). Its very strange (unique for Pinarello?) to have the Pinarello decal on all 3 main tubes and no model reference. Interestingly these ML 34 frames without Banesto decals still had the red , yellow and blue fade colours of Banesto......

So anyone with a 1992/1993 Pinarello brochure???

Stelvio in Banesto team colours below and you can see that this is quite different from the Oria ML 34 "Team" frame which you have:

Attachments

• Stelvio 2.jpg
    Stelvio 2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Stelvio 3.jpg
    Stelvio 3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,174
  • Stelvio 4.jpg
    Stelvio 4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Stelvio.JPG
    Stelvio.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,173
  • Stelvio 5.jpg
    Stelvio 5.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,175
Re:

See further comments above. Would be interesting to resolve this! My references to bridge refer to the brake bridge for clarity.

Re: Pinarello Banesto - Difference between Stelvio vs Team ML34

Jordic1968

I've added pics to my above posting so you can see the difference between the Stelvio in Banesto colors and the Oria ML 34 Team frame which you have. I can find no 1992 labelled Stelvio pics, only 1993 onwards, where they have the spec I've detailed for the Kens tubed model. You have the rarer and IMO more desirable frame and fork.

you are probably correct, I though the Team replica with Oria ML34 took the Stelvio as a base.

Going back to the topic , could just that frame be a Banesto Replica with Event tubing from the late 90's (95+)? It looks the same as the Oria ML25 replica (93, 94?) , so probably when Pinarello started to use rebranded Dedacciai tubing aroung 95, just built the bike with the new Event tubing instead or Orial. I could not find any info on Event tubing (first time I heard of it by the way!), so can not say which is better. But saw Cyclomondo has decals ;)

Hope it helps. Not a top frame I'd say but as I'm a Pinarello fan that frame looks pretty beatiful to me , and it is in quite good condition.

jordic1968":16k7u3s9 said:
you are probably correct, I though the Team replica with Oria ML34 took the Stelvio as a base.

Going back to the topic , could just that frame be a Banesto Replica with Event tubing from the late 90's (95+)? It looks the same as the Oria ML25 replica (93, 94?) , so probably when Pinarello started to use rebranded Dedacciai tubing aroung 95, just built the bike with the new Event tubing instead or Orial. I could not find any info on Event tubing (first time I heard of it by the way!), so can not say which is better. But saw Cyclomondo has decals ;)

Hope it helps. Not a top frame I'd say but as I'm a Pinarello fan that frame looks pretty beatiful to me , and it is in quite good condition.

So back to topic, it's not a Vuelta as you said previously... (which by the way was pretty much Pinarello's top frame). It is the equivalent of the Oria ML 25 entry replica frame in Pinarello's own tubing and more common. I agree 93 -95 (unlikely later) is a fair assumption. The fact that it says replica on the frame means it was an official replica. Having owned ML 25, it is a little heavy, but rides well. Event will more than likely be similar, because after ML 34 Pinarello went to oversize tubes (Kens) to compete with EL OS oversize and used Tig welded construction with the Banesto Cromovan in 1994.

Back