Powder coat a bonded Dynatech?

LittleSkink

Retro Guru
not found a thread on this, apolgies if I missed it

got a Bonded Ti Dynatech and Ugli for I want to refurb this autumn. It shows signs of white corrosion and brown (so alloy lugs and steel) so I was planning to get it blasted and powder coated

But then I read a thread of folks painting their own frames, one of which did it becuase they thought their bonded frame might not cope with the powder coat oven

So has anyone powder coated a bonded Dynatech and had it fail?

I wouldn't put anything joined with bonded epoxy in an oven, let alone something that was glued together 20+ years ago.

Somebody here on the forum once said: "Powdercoating is for lawn furniture not bike frames". Proper automotive wet-paint with clear-coat is so much nicer looking, nicer colors, fades possible, decals under clear coat all the good stuff.

Re:

Yes but look at the prices to get a company to do it!
Argos charge £155 for a frame and forks in a basic colour!

What they said: I wouldn't. Heat is bad for Dynatech Joints - part of the idea is that the bonding agent melts at a very low temperature (relative to brazing or welding) before it flows into the joints/lugs meaning that the joints are less heat affected so in theory they can use lighter tubing.
This is fine as long as you don't take a completed frame over a certain temp: for some reason my memory is insisting 200c which may for all I know be drug-fuelled figment of an already deranged imagination, but it's something like that. Either way, lower than most powder coating facilities usually reach. I have seen it done, but I wouldn't ride the result.

Some *welded* grades of aluminum shouldn't really be powder coated as if the powder coating is done at the top end if the range, you can begin to get into the realms of affecting the heat treatment...... So a bonded frame. Not a chance.

but what about cleaning process? sand blasting against gels etc. could paint stripper get into the joints and break down the glue. to harsh shot blasting etc, would the vibration break the glue?

I remember seeing a video, a guy documents a whole road bike rebuild, stunning job, first ride it gets video footage of delaminating on him mid ride.. I think it was carbon main tubes.. anyhow riding an old bonded bike is brave enough, doing anything with paint, let alone heat is just plain daft.
Solvents will do what they do.. personally I think you need to enjoy some patina or buy a tig welded or brazed steel frame to play with.. have at steel any paint you want and play safely being my point of view.. 100% dont hit it with any blasting or solvents i.e. paint.

Back