Rainbow GT RTS

tomkelly88

Retro Newbie
Hello Retrobikers,

Picked up this GT RTS today, its proving to be a bit of a mystery beast.
Shout out if you can help shed some light on its origin.

Advertised as a 1992 RTS
Stickered up as a GT RTS-1.
Unusual pink > blue fade paint on the front and rear triangle.
M900 XTR canti brakes, shifters/levers and crankset.
XT front and rear derailleur.

Steel rear triangle.
However this RTS has a serial number of H2K002038 (Taiwan from my deciphering) and matching rounded GT cap on end of the head tube. My understanding is that these two features dismiss it as an RTS1.

I'd love to know the year, and what it is specifically!?
Has anyone seen a similar paint job? or Blue GT/RTS decals? They seem to be age appropriate to the bike.

Its cool as and I love it.

Thanks for keeping this retro resource going. 20240503_195837.jpg 20240503_195058.jpg 20240503_195826.jpg 1000013027.jpg 1000013029.jpg 1000013034.jpg 1000013035.jpg

I've owned a lot of RTS in my time, still have a team version and another us built one ready to build up after a disc conversion.

Based on my knowledge and what I can tell from the pics:

That's a respray
It's not an rts-1 or RTS

Why do I think that?

Serial is wrong for a us built version of the rts frame (RTS, team and 1). It will have a zasksr style one you can decipher year, month and frame production number from.

It doesn't appear to have a flat cap on the end of the top tube.

Brake fitting has mount for a roller that missing, and why the straddle is wonky. Us built frames had a rocker assembly and the fittings for mounting one aren't on your rear triangle.

The majority of USA built frames had the piggy back noleen shock, though not all.

Still essentially the same frame, built in the far east, not the USA. Nice components on it either way. Needs some love for sure.

Can't remember seeing a Noleen sticker like this on the shock before. Must be early? (The shock, not necessarily the frame)

Serial number points to Hodaka and 1992. I didn't realise they built RTS's there, but makes sense. Panteras and Avalanche frames with similar dates also available...

The rts-2 had a similar serial, and dated from 1992. I owned that from new until the BB mounts for the rear triangle started to separate from the weld.

Gutting, but it's actually how I first discovered retrobine and my team RTS frame came into my life. It won't leave it either.

Serial number points to Hodaka and 1992. I didn't realise they built RTS's there, but makes sense. Panteras and Avalanche frames with similar dates also available...

The rts-2 had a similar serial, and dated from 1992. I owned that from new until the BB mounts for the rear triangle started to separate from the weld.

Gutting, but it's actually how I first discovered retrobine and my team RTS frame came into my life. It won't leave it either.

Sam and ishaw, Thankyou! I'm curious, how do you decode that serial number for a year? or anything else?

I found a bright white paint chip on the head tube, scraping paint away to reveal whie and black GT logo.

A bit more investigating revealed the raised edges of a sticker under paint on the top tube.
Scrape, scrape, scrape, wipe, wipe, wipe:

Starting to come together!
20240504_151237.jpg 20240504_152435.jpg

I've owned a lot of RTS in my time, still have a team version and another us built one ready to build up after a disc conversion.

Based on my knowledge and what I can tell from the pics:

That's a respray
It's not an rts-1 or RTS

Why do I think that?

Serial is wrong for a us built version of the rts frame (RTS, team and 1). It will have a zasksr style one you can decipher year, month and frame production number from.

It doesn't appear to have a flat cap on the end of the top tube.

Brake fitting has mount for a roller that missing, and why the straddle is wonky. Us built frames had a rocker assembly and the fittings for mounting one aren't on your rear triangle.

The majority of USA built frames had the piggy back noleen shock, though not all.

Still essentially the same frame, built in the far east, not the USA. Nice components on it either way. Needs some love for sure.
I was going to suggest it’s been re-sprayed myself.

Nice project though @tomkelly88

Back