Random Viscount Tourer - prob. parts bike

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Todays pick up, and I admit that I only bought it due to some nice parts fitted which I can put aside for future builds:
IMG_4173.jpeg
Main frame feels like it could be 531, forks feel heavier and lugs don’t match the frame so unsure if they’re original? Suntour dropouts on the rear, possibly on the front too but not 100%
IMG_4174.jpeg IMG_4175.jpeg
Serial looks like 55221? No serial on steerer of fork. Nice pantographed seat stays.
IMG_4176.jpeg
Size is 61ish seat tube and 57 top tube (c/c).
First gen Dura Ace headset:
IMG_4177.jpeg
Should clean up nicely and a box of other parts to keep me busy, early Shimano 600 mechs/shifters (I have the correct crankset for these so nearly a complete group now).
IMG_4178.jpeg
Unsure what to do with the frameset, I have sufficient parts to build it back up as a decent enough tourer, the wheels and tyres it came with are serviceable modernish stuff. Don’t know - it’s a bit big for me and realistically in today’s market probs not worth doing to sell on.
Be good to know if anyone knows what it is though. :)

I don't know about 'expert' ...

I think it's the 600ex. Early 80's. Shimano 600 Arabesque. Here's mine and then the catalogue pic. They only came in a couple colours I believe, and neither of them were red.

The frame number on Viscount is a complete mystery to most people, and I suspect to the people who made them 😂

I could be wrong - there are a couple on eBay at the moment that are very similar , but the buyer believes they were team prototypes. The one below is NOT

EDIT - there is a 600EX and a 600AX versions

41858306005_c8decb4737_o.jpg

8659383168_19a31d0521_c.jpg

Back