Random Viscount Tourer - prob. parts bike

Thanks for clarifying what it is! Nice looking bike btw - love the colour. Mine has definitely been painted and the forks are definitely wrong. Cool that the dura ace headset is original to the bike, I wasn’t sure.

Been back and forth on what to do with this. It doesn’t owe me anything really but it’d be nice if it was a complete bike again - it’s too good to scrap and should make a decent town/city/pub bike for someone.
With that in mind I grabbed it down from the loft and commenced cleaning and sanding ready for fresh paint.
IMG_4333.jpeg IMG_4335.jpeg IMG_4336.jpeg
Such a warm afternoon that the paint and lacquer were touch dry within an hour or so. Just enough time to clean the wheels and tyres up ready.
Not sure if the bullmoose rep bars will stay on, might look better with drops? The plan is to build it up with parts I’ve got and probably pass it on (it’s a 24” frame and too big for me). Old bikes aren’t really selling atm but even if I virtually give it away - at least it’ll be out there being used again.
Stay tuned.

Got this finished off and I’m pretty happy with the results:
IMG_4340.jpeg
IMG_4341.jpeg
Just did a few miles as a bit of a shake down and I really quite like it, if only I had longer legs(!).
Should make a nice bike for someone and it’s another vintage steel bike back on the roads, was a pleasure to practice my paint skills and build this up, it went together really well.

Got this finished off and I’m pretty happy with the results:
View attachment 857543
View attachment 857544
Just did a few miles as a bit of a shake down and I really quite like it, if only I had longer legs(!).
Should make a nice bike for someone and it’s another vintage steel bike back on the roads, was a pleasure to practice my paint skills and build this up, it went together really well.
Another one saved 😁

When I was a lad a guy in my first club tried to sell me over of these. We called them (T)Rusty Viscounts! I don't know whether it was the paint or the tubing, but as soon as they saw rain - rot set in

When I was a lad a guy in my first club tried to sell me over of these. We called them (T)Rusty Viscounts! I don't know whether it was the paint or the tubing, but as soon as they saw rain - rot set in
Interesting.. That might explain why it wasn’t in the factory colours when I got it - might have been repainted to address rust issues. To be fair there was some surface rust on it when I rubbed it down. But not terrible, I’ve definitely seen worse, especially with the use that this has seen. The main frame is actually pretty light, especially considering it’s quite a big one, but maybe a lesser spec tubing than 531 or similar?

I think they used Vitus at one point, and maybe a cheaper Japanese tube set. I liked the look of them, did they not have their own proprietary big plate chainring also?

I've got a satin chrome plated 1974 Viscount Supabike it still has it's plating, bit tired but it's fifty years old. Also have a early 80s Deore AX18 tourer in original paint, a few blemishes again it's old.

Back