RBotM November 2020 - Theme - Tandems !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping sherlylock & fiveSixteenths will turn up late with their near finished Clauds... and you may have to enter yours Jamie just to make up the numbers :xmas-wink:

Jamiedyer":2f1h3kz2 said:
ATSB???
All tea, sugar and biscuits ;)

Jamie

Nope.

A talking saddle bag. :LOL:

Ps First tandem I think on the phil & friends ride out of Sheffield back in 2001 . Rode it with a good friend as stoker .

Re: Colson Tandem 1930s

Circa 1933-37, I believe. Not pretty I know, but what I call the "Marriage Counselor" because of the "dual steering" with lady's cockpit up front. Good communication is important! Odd front drive having an eccentric bottom bracket assy. with split bottom bracket shell "clamp" for front chain tensioning, skip tooth sprockets, rod/chain steering linkages. A work in progress; not a restoration, but a modification as I am attempting to design a side car for it since I've never seen a tandem with one. Original except grips, saddles, and pedals; missing mudguards, chain guard, frame stand, and headbadge.. Fully functional as it sets. Old photo, I do not know why bars are turned up; possibly after transporting.

Extra photos added for reference purposes

Attachments

• Colson Rear Steer Tandem 1933-37.jpg
    Colson Rear Steer Tandem 1933-37.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,194
  • COLSON REAR STEER TANDEM FRONT FRAME ASSEMBLY.jpg
    COLSON REAR STEER TANDEM FRONT FRAME ASSEMBLY.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,194
  • IMG_20200412_081123.jpg
    IMG_20200412_081123.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,194
  • IMG_20200412_081115.jpg
    IMG_20200412_081115.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,194
  • COLSON REAR STEER TANDEM CHAINRINGS.jpg
    COLSON REAR STEER TANDEM CHAINRINGS.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,194
bagpuss":1czn18fa said:
Ps First tandem I think on the phil & friends ride out of Sheffield back in 2001 . Rode it with a good friend as stoker .
was it the long route with the ascent of Winnats Pass?

Re:

I know we did NOT go up the "Winnats " . & at nearly 20 years ago I cannot remember if there were two distances to pick from that year.
I know we gave it some up Holme Moss and smoking it down the descent :cool:
Sparrow pits comes to mind . The brake fade experience on the steep down hill "Mam Tor "into Edale will remain etched on both of our minds for ever :LOL:
My mate never rode as stoker again, even though I fitted hydraulic brakes he was having none of it .

Re:

That's actually Mam Nick - mam tor is the hill at the top, the mam tor climb is the closed road from castleton
Yes, scary descent even on a solo, and you know there is always likely to be a car at some inopportune moment

Re:

You are right on the Mam Nick...I should have looked at the map better . :facepalm:

Lost braking power on the first corner ,I think there are three bends at the top end? Narrow bridge at the bottom . Could not make the right hander at bottom,went straight onto Barber Booth .Managed to stop on the unmade road . A close shave :shock:
Never had an adrenaline like it before or since and that includes jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane.{Once was enough mind you}. Then some 10 years ago Bungeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .What a stupid idea that was :LOL:
The only time i met myself coming back the other way.

I get a feeling that there would be an appetite for a ‘pics of tandems’ thread. Possibly it reflects that many would like a tandem but don't have space- that certainly describes me. My ideal would be a Flying Gate tandem- I have a photo (which I won’t share in this thread to save adding further confusion) and you have to look quite hard to tell which end is the front!

My worst tandem experience was the first time I rode one! Probably 1969 I think. I was stoker in a local club 25 near Maidenhead - ridden in a torrential downpour combined with a tropical thunderstorm. There was lightning striking in the fields either side of the road (we could smell the ozone) and a young lad locally was killed by a lightning strike - it struck a pen in his jacket pocket I believe. Add to this the front rider's pedalling action was - to put it politely - a bit like a snake, rolling around in the saddle. I felt sick and we had to stop for a few minutes for me to recover. We did finish - even with the stop we were still 'inside' - and, guess what? The rain stopped and the sun came out. Typical!

Peachy!":37603xy2 said:
I'm hoping sherlylock & fiveSixteenths will turn up late with their near finished Clauds... and you may have to enter yours Jamie just to make up the numbers :xmas-wink:

Oooo blimey.....there's a challenge! Not sure it could be rideable in 2 and a bit weeks - it certainly won't be painted and fully finished!!

I have managed to cobble together all the bits I need for it - including a sturmey archer long arm trigger shifter.......making up the new brake cables for the Resilion brakes is going to be a jump on the bottom of the learning curve (I have started to make a jig for the front cable at least).

I'll def. enter........nearer the end of the month............if it doesn't still look like a box of bits.

Maybe I should just enter the box of bits.........do I win points for the quality of the storage box it's all sitting in....? :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back