Restoration of a Rock Shox Mag 21 Sl Ti including color

Nice write up, it's fun servicing these forks, I tend to leave oil in when blowing them up ;-).

Bushing OK?

Are you taking the negative spring an valving out to check over an tune?.

Circlip still in place at the bottom, I assume so as they look well looked after.
Metal or delrin adjuster rod, looks metal but later the 94 mag's turned to delrin (black plastic) . Hard to tell from the picture.

Nice write up, it's fun servicing these forks, I tend to leave oil in when blowing them up ;-).

Bushing OK?

Are you taking the negative spring an valving out to check over an tune?.

Circlip still in place at the bottom, I assume so as they look well looked after.
Metal or delrin adjuster rod, looks metal but later the 94 mag's turned to delrin (black plastic) . Hard to tell from the picture.
Bushings seem fine, circlip in place, metal adjuster rod.
I will tune the damping like I did in 94 👍

As above, very interested in how they turn out. I think others have used chrome paint to refinish, but during reserch I also stumbled upon the tinted laquer method.

I will tune the damping like I did in 94 👍

Can you elaborate this a bit further? What I´ve seen so far re tuning (please correct me if I´m wrong):
- oil weight
- oil level (more oil=less air=more progression)
- valve spring (less springrate=more sensitivity for small bumps)
- bypass holes (larger=more sensitive response, similar to lighter oil weight)

Last edited:
I will slightly enlarge the bypass bore, use a good and slightly lighter oil plus add the LT kit.
But you could also play with the valve spring washer.

This fork will go to a wall hanger bike project.
But I still want to keep it in good shape and setup like I raced it 94.

Legs are back together. But sadly the Brodie brake arch seems not to be for a mag21 as sold to me.

So I'm urgently looking for a turquoise Brodie or AC brake.

Please let me know if you got one that you would sell to me. PSX_20230429_151440.jpg

Back