Retro E-Bike conversion.

Well it's all fitted now but not being used as the off side crank arm squashes the peddle assist sensor to a point where the crank arm barely turns by hand, way too much pressure on the sensor to take it out riding. I would swap out the bottom bracket for one with a longer axle but it's stuck in the frame. So far approx £400 spent and it's not been used onse hehe. My only idea to make it work is to take an angle grinder to the inner face of the crank arm and grind off 2mm. I'm not happy about doing this as it's a really nice original Shimano unit. The bike has been shoved to the back of the garage for now.

Which kit did you settle for finally? Just want to check before looking at one for the Mrs, who has arthritis in her hip.

Well it's all fitted now but not being used as the off side crank arm squashes the peddle assist sensor to a point where the crank arm barely turns by hand, way too much pressure on the sensor to take it out riding. I would swap out the bottom bracket for one with a longer axle but it's stuck in the frame. So far approx £400 spent and it's not been used onse hehe. My only idea to make it work is to take an angle grinder to the inner face of the crank arm and grind off 2mm. I'm not happy about doing this as it's a really nice original Shimano unit. The bike has been shoved to the back of the garage for now.

Got a pic?

Depending on the motor the pedal sensor is not absolutely necessary. Sometimes it can even remove any speed limiters as the bike's electronics believe the bike is always travelling at 0 mph ;)

For stuck bottom brackets, I've found nothing can resist an impact wrench. I keep one just for that job now.

Back