Retro MTB that can perform today

Think with a £500 budget (that will undoubtedly grow) and 10 months I should be able to source something. If anyone sees anything in a large and remembers this thread feel free to send it this way. XC is the goal.

I wouldn’t worry to much just find something you like and fits, I absolutely rag my old bombers and they take everything; also as I ve broken or repairing my more modern bikes I ve been riding my retro rigid jobby recently and other week rinsed two lads on modern enduro bikes who both took it very well and a guy on a very expensive electric bike who wasn’t best pleased at all both on the ups and downs round whinlatter, I was having so much fun and going so fast on it I accidentally took all the lines I would normally do on a 180mm fs bike, only difference was an achey back the next morning and having to pull my wrists out of my elbows

I find it very satisfying killing everyone on the trail on a 30yr old rigid; )
I would also add whatever you find make sure you give it a good old thrashing a handful of times before racing it just to flush out any niggles and mechanicals and obs give the frame a good ole inspection for any fatigues, last thing you want is any major f ups when your doing well in the middle of a race ; ) good luck : )

Just been out for a razz on the 1996/7 Voodoo Zobop that I resurrected. Narrow bars, trepidous angles, kangaroo reboumd. How we didn't kill ourselves trying to ride Coed y Brenin on bikes like this is a mystery.

Some good suggestions here. I would also vote for the FSR, I have a '99 S-Works and they are fairly light and have rear suspension that sort of works.

Another vote for the Santa Cruz here. I have a 96 Heckler, it's heavy but you don't really notice that while riding, comfy, doesn't really bob about like you might expect for a 27 year old full suspension bike and it doesn't hurt that it looks cool! (in my opinion anyway 😁) DSC_0848.JPG
A Superlight can only be better from an XC perspective.

Back