Rocky mountain. Which should (can) I choose?

It does look in nice condition. Not the original headset though unfortunately.

Price is subjective of course. You could hold out for another in as good condition, in your size and for a couple of hundred pounds cheaper, though I seriously doubt that will happen. The frame is one of the best steel frames made and harder to come by these days, especially in good condition. If one came up in my size, and had the headset, though not entirely a deal breaker, and after trying to negotiate the price down a bit, I would still find it hard to walk away from for £500. You could always get them to remove the headset and RF bb for a cheaper deal, though make sure you get the seatpost clamp, probably harder to find than the frame :)
1467346542.jpg

What do you think about this? Around 1550 €. And a lot of pieces hard to find here. Is this also a good deal ( considering it is complete)?

1467346542.jpg

What do you think about this? Around 1550 €. And a lot of pieces hard to find here. Is this also a good deal ( considering it is complete)?

Always harder with full bikes. Personally there is always something that I would change on the bike anyway, so unless it is exactly to the spec I want and the parts too are in good condition, then I usually stay clear. Having said that, there are some nice parts on the bike, the I-Beams and the forks for example, the other parts are pretty common, though I do not know the condition of them without seeing the ad and better pictures of the frame and parts. People nowadays tend to add up all the parts separately and their maximum individual prices added together is what they expect.

Most of the parts on it are still easily found and you can spec the bike the way you want.

Always harder with full bikes. Personally there is always something that I would change on the bike anyway, so unless it is exactly to the spec I want and the parts too are in good condition, then I usually stay clear. Having said that, there are some nice parts on the bike, the I-Beams and the forks for example, the other parts are pretty common, though I do not know the condition of them without seeing the ad and better pictures of the frame and parts. People nowadays tend to add up all the parts separately and their maximum individual prices added together is what they expect.

Most of the parts on it are still easily found and you can spec the bike the way you want.

Here it is the Ad.
It's hard for me. I'be been 2 weeks looking for a frame. And fork and cranks are hard to find here. And XTR material for this bike can cost 300 € perfectly in the low side here. Yes, It's money, but If I see all pieces separatedly I find it a good ocasion. I only would change the stem for a Syncros and maybe the Seat for a Vetta.
I don't know what to do. I need some extra day to thing about.

Thank you! I just found a full XTR 1993 Altitude with Mag21 for 1550 €. Good price compared to 600 2 only frame. But seems like a 18,5" menwhile I need a 19,5 or so. I don't know what to do. But if I count all the equipment, it's worth 1300-1500€ minimum.... You put me in a difficult crossroads, and my wife in the middle!

Yeah, you can get the bike, but you'll lose the wife.
Can you live with TV dinners?

on topic; Seems you want to rush your frame/bike.
I've been on the lookout for "easier" to get frames and I settled for a Marin I wasn't looking for to put my bits on.

Patience is a virtue annoying.

Yeah, you can get the bike, but you'll lose the wife.
Can you live with TV dinners?

on topic; Seems you want to rush your frame/bike.
I've been on the lookout for "easier" to get frames and I settled for a Marin I wasn't looking for to put my bits on.

Patience is a virtue annoying.
I know. I'm not patient. I'm nervous and obsesive with bikes. And looking for pieces is another hobby. If I buy all at once, I lost a big part of interest!
I'llt ry to wait some weeks. I don't think that these bikes will fly at this prices....

Here it is the Ad.
It's hard for me. I'be been 2 weeks looking for a frame. And fork and cranks are hard to find here. And XTR material for this bike can cost 300 € perfectly in the low side here. Yes, It's money, but If I see all pieces separatedly I find it a good ocasion. I only would change the stem for a Syncros and maybe the Seat for a Vetta.
I don't know what to do. I need some extra day to thing about.

The ad does not load for me.

I would be looking at more around the 1200 euros mark for an Altitude with this spec.

I know. I'm not patient. I'm nervous and obsesive with bikes. And looking for pieces is another hobby. If I buy all at once, I lost a big part of interest!
I'llt ry to wait some weeks. I don't think that these bikes will fly at this prices....

Well, you seem to have answered your own dilemma.

Out of the two options, that other frame in really good condition, or this full bike, I would go for the frame, and if I did not have the parts and could not wait, I would buy a cheap bike and swap the parts over and then change them out over time when I sourced the better components.

You are correct though, I doubt the bike will sell anytime soon, though if it is someones dream bike and they happen to come across some spare cash, you ever know. I learnt the hard way, always waiting for the supposedly cheaper one to come along, they just kept on getting dearer until I committed and actually bought it, now if they ever do come up for sale, which is very rare in my size, they are silly prices - not a RM by the way, though similar when I did buy my RM which you can not find at all in my size anymore :)

That's a near catalogue spec 93 Altitude, just the stem isn't original (cannot check parts I cannot see of course)
Even original wheels there (nipples/spoke count/ could measure spoke diameter to check too).
These are unique to the bike.

Edit, seen other pics, bars also not original.

Here it is the Ad.
It's hard for me. I'be been 2 weeks looking for a frame. And fork and cranks are hard to find here.
Most of us have been down that road. Some guys have waited years to find their right frame in the right condition. You have the luxury of waiting for 'perfect' because you're not searching for something too obscure.

The example on Tutti is nice, but I have seen those sell for less than 1,000 Francs and a few given away due to busted cables and flat tires where the owner cant be assed dealing with repairs on an old bike.

Of course what you do and want is entirely up to you!

Back