RS Mag 21 disassembled some questions.

reetegoed

Dirt Disciple
Some time ago I purchased an old Mag21 with the intention to bring it back to life. It will be used one on one of my bike projects.
I alredeay used this fork in the 90's and and now I wish I had bought some replacement parts in those days..
Before I started unscrewing parts , i tried the adjuster knobs . On both legs they kept on turning , there was no stop. Rapidly I removed the topcaps being afraid there would be nothing inside the legs !
Well there was , I saw the long adjusting rod protuding from the botom.
I pulled out the complete leg assembly , as pictured below.
To my suprise the adjustment rod was not damaged down below on the valve it was working properly. Now the strange thing , it looks the rod is to short to reach the topcap ??? is it possible someday someboddy installed the wrong topcaps from another type?? Now i could lengthen the
Rod , is this a good idea?
Another question: evereywhere on the web you read the Seal(NOT THE DUSTSEAL) for the Mag 21 is not available , but it looks like a quite normal seal . i have prolems reading the type because its slightly damaged on the top.
Do i read : BR4741C or BR47412 ? could be BR43412/C also..
Any one who has some nice spares lying around?

pbpic4247856.jpg

The top caps you have there look like 1995+ one's (coupled with the fact they fit in the steel legs) would that seem about right, do you have a picture of the main outside parts of the fork ?

Service manuals are in the Archive under RockShox but use afiak RockShox numbers for the parts, You don't actually need the adjusters, just set them equal on both sides and you'll be fine.

The '93MAG21 and '92 MAG20 used a different rod to the later ones, they don;t look slotted (MAG20) and not sure what the difference is between the '93 MAG21 and the 94+ ones possible hex part is longer.

MAG21 main seals dimensions are (apparently) SE 25.4x35x7
There are some here it seems.
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id49.html

FluffyChicken":1aeuiqyn said:
The top caps you have there look like 1995+ one's (coupled with the fact they fit in the steel legs) would that seem about right, do you have a picture of the main outside parts of the fork ?

Service manuals are in the Archive under RockShox but use afiak RockShox numbers for the parts, You don't actually need the adjusters, just set them equal on both sides and you'll be fine.

The '93MAG21 and '92 MAG20 used a different rod to the later ones, they don;t look slotted (MAG20) and not sure what the difference is between the '93 MAG21 and the 94+ ones possible hex part is longer.

MAG21 main seals dimensions are (apparently) SE 25.4x35x7

There are some here it seems.
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id49.html

Thanks , i thought the Enduro seals were dust wipers , the're NOT! Great , I will order some. About the Rod , it just doesn't reach the adjuster enough.. like the rod has shrunken?? strange ..

External, pictures, particularly the dropouts of the legs and the brace and crown (if you know they are original)

Also could you measure the length of the top 'hex' part on rods that the adjusters are suppose to fit in and I'll compare them to mine.

P.S. you don't need the dust wiper on the leg as RockShox actually didn't supply them for some of the years and only fitted boots. Mine are still running fine :)

FluffyChicken":2eqlscnd said:
External, pictures, particularly the dropouts of the legs and the brace and crown (if you know they are original)

pbpic4259309.jpg

pbpic4259308.jpg

Also could you measure the length of the top 'hex' part on rods that the adjusters are suppose to fit in and I'll compare them to mine.

pbpic4259326.jpg

The leg you show would imply it's a 1995 lower style leg.... (since it's a right leg and the inside safety dropout is not there and there is paint (original at that or an excellent copy) where it would be so not just worn/filed off and the paint is.

So err dunno :LOL:
I'll check some length, could you do just the bulge at the top of the rod.

ANyone else that has recently stipped a pair of these notice anything (1994 MAG21/10 Ti/SL + all have the same internals.) ..afaik..

Dear Fluffy (or should I say Chicken :D ) Thanks for the respons.
I have had a early Mag 21 long ago , and yes this is a new type.
I think the problem is (after looking carefully at all the parts) that the part of the hexagon end of the rod that sticks inside the adjustment bushing is not penetrating the hexagon inside of the adjustment bushing far enough to grab a hold of the thread....and the end of the bushing is a bit worn , so when the rod (valve) has been turned to its seating , there is not enough flesh on the inside of the adjustment assy at the end to grab the rod....
Now i hope there is still some sense in my English explanation????
I think I can work this out .... :cool:

There is a chap in Sittard (if that is how it's spelt) who may or may not be able to help you out if you get really stuck. If I remember correctly he might have some spare older style tops (flat top ones) and ...

You explained it fine before :D I was just wondering if the rods had been changed for some earlier ones (pre-94) or if they where new caps on pre 94 forks.

Anyways you've reminded me to get on with my air valve modifications on the 94 MAG10's (the legs will not separate with these easily :evil: ) and buy some new oil and fix a clicking on my 94 MAG21's :evil:

The air valves change is something i have done with the earlier fork i had.
I installed shraders...
In my opinion it looked awfull but it worked.
Could you measure for me the size of th little ruber air valves? i want to get hold of some raw material like a rubber extrusion in the right size and cut the desired lenght...
Anyway it's funny to know i bought that mag21 in LAX in 1992 when on a month's long holliday and brought it over to The Netherlands. it served me well untill 2004.
Stupid me I trashed the fork then.. :oops:
Now I intend to buy yet another one and use the both of them on some bikes I am restoring.
5 minutes ago I left the garage where I was servicing a Reba.
That one will go on my Giant MCM. Now that reba is a nice fork to work on.Much easier than the old Mag.
But history will tel if it its just as bomb proof on the long run as the mag :D

Anyway , I suspect the clicking could be the top out spring on the bottom of the leg , the one around the valve.it gets pressed all the time , gets smaler and starts hopping around.
Cheers mate
:xmas-wink:

Back