Saddles for comfort

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I need a new Saddle for my Mountain Bike, it's used as a spare for my Son and one I use for family rides. A less than successful hernia repair and another scheduled means comfort is needed and my current saddle is spoiling rides :(

Does not need to be thin/narrow nor a huge 12" wide one.

Any recommendations greatly received!!

For me:
San Marco Regal (nicknamed 'the Belgian Sofa' in the pro peloton)
San Marco Bontrager
Brooks B17 narrow

Also worth considering (seem to be commonly recommended)
Charge Spoon
San Marco Rolls

Personally I find a Flite uncomfortable, along wth the San Marco Concor although they are both popular.

I have a battered Regal you are welcome to for £10 posted.

The two saddles I've come to trust for comfort are a Brooks Cambium Carve C17 & a Selle SMP Lite 209. Couldn't get on with the Flite either.

Re:

Flites on some bikes, WTB laser V Ti on others and experimenting with a Brooks B67 on a hacker when it arrives.

widowmaker":wa0whk3f said:
I need a new Saddle for my Mountain Bike, it's used as a spare for my Son and one I use for family rides. A less than successful hernia repair and another scheduled means comfort is needed and my current saddle is spoiling rides :(

Does not need to be thin/narrow nor a huge 12" wide one.

Any recommendations greatly received!!

Here you go !

Attachments

• Indian saddle1.png
    Indian saddle1.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,097
I have used a wide variety of saddles for performance and comfort - and I am a bit of a whippet, so notionally should be using Flites etc...but as a male have used female Terry saddles (here is the latest incarnation but I gave Kaz an early one recently...)

https://www.bikester.co.uk/terry-bttrfl ... 18094744:s

...and female Avocet o2 ti saddles with the wide rear section and soft nose. The biomechanical principle is to relieve the pressure on your groin by ensuring the ischial tuberosities (bum bones) are well supported. I have an 8/10 Avocet - very light and very supportive - here for sale....

Such a personal choice. Hardly surprising given our bottoms are all different sizes. It took my a while to get used to Charge Spoon, but after having several bikes with them, I get on with them fine.

The best advice I've seen is to recall the last saddle that felt comfy and go shopping for a similar shaped one. Distance between sit bones seems to be key.

With a hernia, other considerations may be at play. Perhaps a more upright position might help or not? When I was recovering from abdominal surgery last year, I found an upright position helped a lot (while recovering the handlebar height on my folder were above my saddle).

greencat":2ji7pp3n said:
Such a personal choice. Hardly surprising given our bottoms are all different sizes. It took my a while to get used to Charge Spoon, but after having several bikes with them, I get on with them fine.

The best advice I've seen is to recall the last saddle that felt comfy and go shopping for a similar shaped one. Distance between sit bones seems to be key.

With a hernia, other considerations may be at play. Perhaps a more upright position might help or not? When I was recovering from abdominal surgery last year, I found an upright position helped a lot (while recovering the handlebar height on my folder were above my saddle).

Come to think of it, I had a bike with a Charge Spoon and it was comfy.:D

(Pulls down loft ladder and goes to check spares, only to find he Karma'd it)

Back