Silly question - ahead stem on threaded fork

AR-CoolC

Retrobike Rider
Silly question here, but I need a short stem for my daughter's bike.

A thought I had was, that as it needs a new headset anyway, could I fit a low stack headset and use a short ahead type stem on the threaded section that would be showing?

Some people have and claim its fine. But no. Really. Certainly not on yer daughter's bike.

;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thought as much :roll:

I've seen the quill adapters, just thought as it needs a new headset anyway this would be a neater solution.

ne'mind.

Bob":1w5qh3cl said:
There is another way, I use one of these on my Kona, wanted to keep the original forks but wanted a nice ahead stem :cool: i'm 16 stone, give it plenty of stick and have never had any issues :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pazzaz-Black- ... 20e&_uhb=1

Ditto on my Clockwork when I had it...

...but I've also stuck an Ahead stem on a threaded fork without any problems; if it worries you just fill the thread with body filler and smooth it off :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
We_are_Stevo":3h0mgmwg said:
if it worries you just fill the thread with body filler and smooth it off :cool:

Does this method make use of the inherent structural strength found in body filler...?

Anyway If you want to try the converter method, and the steerer on your daughter's bike is 1", I have one in my sales thread linked in my sig. below. I also have a 1" threaded headset for sale [needs ball bearings] so you could combine the two and kill two birds...!

BB

BoyBurning":3tc4koeg said:
We_are_Stevo":3tc4koeg said:
if it worries you just fill the thread with body filler and smooth it off :cool:

Does this method make use of the inherent structural strength found in body filler...?

BB

Rising to the bait...

...obviously not, but it prevents the thread from cutting into the alloy stem; which is the only concern most people would have ;)

You still have the problem of the thinner tube wall on the threaded forks though......

Back