Stumpjumper BB30 to Hollow Tech 2 Conversion

gysot

Dirt Disciple
Im wanting to convert a 2013 Stumpy Carbon to run HT2 and wondered which option was best.

Do i use the push in threaded sleeve and use a standard HT2 BB or use something like this kit instead Ebay Number 161623945085

Also dos any on Know the BB size for the 2013 Stumpy Carbon ?

Turns out its a PF30 so i don't know how compatible BB30 parts are ??.

Next issue is the frame has a tapered headset and my forks are a 1 1/8th straight steerer.

Re:

Headset. Tapered i believe is 1.5 in lower race, pretty sure ive seen an adapter to run 1 1/8 forks or fit the reducing race.

Its all a bit off a faff, too many bb and integrated hradset formats.

Ive managed to find a Hope 1.5 to 1 1/8th reducer so thats sorted.

Your right about the BB's as i dint realize there were so many variations even on the same types but after a bit or should i say a lot of research ive thing i know which one i need now !!

Re: BB30 conversion

BB30 and PF30 use the same bearings but the PF30 uses a sleeve 'cup' in the frame, whereas BB30 has the bearings fitted straight into the frame.

I recently fitted a Praxis Works unit to my mates Stumpjumper World Cup as the original item lasted 3 months, not good considering the massive price tag of the bike. The Praxis threads into itself and expands inside the bottom bracket shell to hold itself tight.

Evans have them on offer at the moment at £59.99.

This allows him to use Shimano cranks now and has already lasted as long as the original with no creaking whatsoever.

Whichever system you go with will be a vast improvement on what is fitted already.
This is why my new custom 29er has a threaded bottom bracket.

I ended up buying a BB30 Sram Crank and then used a Wheels Mfg PF30 BB which is what my local specialized dealer fits when replacing the standard sram item.

Re:

It wont be bb30 but some specialized bb format.

It can be done as i got epic running shimano cset, no idea what parts you need but if you do google, youll get a table from specialized website listing bb formats and parts etc.

BB30 to Shimano... rule of thumb is use either a BB30 to threaded conversion or - even better - something like the Hope BB30 reducer (running one of these on my CX bike). The fewer interfaces you can involve, the better.

But there are some Epics that use a proprietary BB width. don't think its the BB30 ones though.

Back