Suntour XC comp vs pro

Spudalumps

Senior Retro Guru
Which is the better model? I’m guessing one is the XT and the other is the XTR equivalent, I did have a scim over old posts although still confused lol!

Kind regards,

Jason

Pro is Comp but with greaseports and cartridge bearings in places.

It's like XT+ and XTR

(or really DX+ and XT)
Competition for motels, and Professional for top end sponsored riders, or show offs)

So the more pricey stuff was the SR XC PRO? I’m just having a think because I can’t afford XTR M900/910 at the moment as I have it on my 95 Xizang but wanted something to bide me on my new 92 Zaskar

You might equally struggle to find XC Pro in nice condition cheaply to be honest. It commands a premium over Deore XT from the same period, and especially when you get into the later micro drive 8 speed groupset territory

I have pro/ comp shifters, leavers, front wheel cranks and 1 pair of breaks I only need a handful of bits that’s why I’m leaning toward it at this time yaknow ;)

I'd go as far to say xc pro was better than the top of the line Shimano of the day (xt or m900). Imho it shifted better, looked better and lasted better.

Yes, it had the frustratingly proprietary freehub on the hubs, but that was the only downside.

I regret parting with a couple of groupsets I had built up, one day I may try again but as said, it commands strong money these days.

I have pro/ comp shifters, leavers, front wheel cranks and 1 pair of breaks I only need a handful of bits that’s why I’m leaning toward it at this time yaknow ;)
Which version do you have, with 1992 you have the benefit of the 7sp MD setup, which is fanspangly new and cool, especially as Shimano was still left with it them old big rings and all that.
8sp wasn't yet there though, have to wait a year for that.

We need a catalog now. There's one in the Archive, or if like me you don't like pdf versions but nice images
You can use the old archive (my scans)

Which version do you have, with 1992 you have the benefit of the 7sp MD setup, which is fanspangly new and cool, especially as Shimano was still left with it them old big rings and all that.
8sp wasn't yet there though, have to wait a year for that.

We need a catalog now. There's one in the Archive, or if like me you don't like pdf versions but nice images
You can use the old archive (my scans)
I’ll nip up the attic either tonight or over the weekend and have a scrounge, I got majority of it free of a guy who donated his bike to my collection a few years back, (cracked aluminium elite 1992 frame) so I’m assuming it’s the 92 model

Back