Suntour XC comp vs pro

I still have my full and complete XC Pro group set in the loft including the bottom bracket and wheel set. Fluffychicken has been trying to get his grubby hands on it for years, I'm now keeping on purpose just to annoy him.

I have a 1996 Explosif frame in the loft as well, might build it up with the XC Pro kit.

Last edited:
I still have my full and complete XC Pro group set in the loft including the bottom bracket and wheel set. Fluffychicken has been trying to get his grubby hands on it for years, I'm now keeping on purpose just to annoy him.

I have a 1996 Explosif frame in the loft as well, might build it up with the XC Pro kit.
Little arse bandit isn't he ;-)
The funniest part is that he lives just around the corner from me, I swear if he stands on a chair in his front box room he can see it through my loft window.
I'll be hiding at my oldies allotment behind your house, just waiting...

Oh and that XC Pro is way too old for a 1996 Explosif.

(bit of retro slang there, of course I'm now old enough to realise what it means and not just a cool gentle term of endearment between mates)

Little arse bandit isn't he ;-)

I'll be hiding at my oldies allotment behind your house, just waiting...

Oh and that XC Pro is way too old for a 1996 Explosif.

(bit of retro slang there, of course I'm now old enough to realise what it means and not just a cool gentle term of endearment between mates)

If I can get this Pace RC200 frame sorted it could go on that. Still needs the stuck seatpost removign and the cracked BB shell fixing. It'd look nice with the XC Pro kit and the Pace RC36 Evo Pro Class forks I have up front.

I could go B***s Out and put the XC Pro on my 1988 Rockhopper just to annoy even more people hehe.

Speaking of which, I'm giving away my 1988 Rockhopper for free, but that'll be for another post. I took it to the bike recycling place in Cottingham last week but the gates were padlocked. I went at about 09:15 so they should have been open. The Saracen Double U Trekker is going off to Wales to a chap from the forum. I'm boxing it up today.

I’ve always been a fan of Suntour ever since I got my 1991 Kona Cinder Cone, which came with XC LTD.
I love Deore DX and XT, but there’s something about Suntour - it’s different from the norm. And the XC Pro is beautifully engineered.
It seems that Suntour dropped off a cliff from about 1992? In 1990/1991 there was still quiet a few mainstream brands selling models with Suntour group sets, but 1992 onwards, very few?

Hijacking the thread I know, but any love for the original Suntour 1980's thumbshifters. I have some still in original package which I;ve been too lazy to put on the sale forum. Similar to the image below.

Attachments

• Vintage Suntour Thumbshifters.png
    Vintage Suntour Thumbshifters.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 2
Back