Tamiya RC Cars

A lot of people just sit them on a shelf... They look so good once built that there is that urge to not get them dirty or crash them, but they were meant to be driven! I have a track near me but it's very race oriented so I just go with my 9 year old, we find some dirt somewhere and drive them around, spin donuts, find a few jumps, try not to crash them, and have fun :LOL:
It's much better going with kids, as then you don't feel like an adult playing with kids toy cars, which is probably how the rest of a normal population views us 🤣
Building them does not take a huge amount of skills, when it comes down to it they're just pre-formed plastic parts, screw and bolts, a few gears, and some paint on the shell. Start with a cheap one if you're unsure or not mechanically/model minded, so that it's not a big deal if you mess up. I don't know anyone who has built a kit and not become addicted! if all you want to do is drive and aren't bothered about the build, there are lots of ready to run vehicles, mostly not tamiya. But I think for anyone into Tamiya especially, the whole point is building it yourself first!
Same for me, my lad goes 9 this week so it's an easy excuse! We run ours at the local park and on pump tracks. Anywhere with a bit of space really. We are sticking with pretty basic kit atm, torque tuned motors and 3000 batteries but no doubt we'll go brushless in the end.

In the past I had a modern Traxxis nitro truck to use and just collected the vintage Tamiya to look at but since they've re-released loads I'll be running them. Very much starting out with this stuff again, trying to get to grips with new kit and all the various chassis numbers but it's great fun!

It can be expensive but I bought the Lunchbox second hand with all the radio gear for £85. That got me up and running so I can just transfer the radio gear now. Also picked up a TL-01 car with full radio gear for less than £50 so it doesn't have to be excessive.

LGF, those early buggies have always been sought after so prices are mental, just like old bikes. If anything the re-releases have put the price of originals up!

Driving them (or I suppose that should be operating them) is where the trouble can occur - especially if they go out of range or the battery dies unexpectedly.

Within days, maybe even hours of completing my Beetle originally, whilst whizzing it around the Close, my battery began the dying process and the car just started going round in circles in an unresponsive fashion. Sadly those circles resulted in it wedging itself under a parked car, putting a nice gouge in the freshly painted roof and dispatching a number of the smallest glued on parts (VW badge and wipers) :confused:

It’ll be a display item this time around!

Tamiya, unlike most other brands, has a unique niche in the RC world. They consider themselves “models suitable for radio control” as opposed to bash & thrash. Sort of an expectation that the cars will be used within reasonable parameters. Unfortunately it is often misunderstood and the uninitiated regard Tamiya as low quality, but when you know, you know. It’s a lot like how we treat our crusty old bikes in this new world of racing machines.

Attachments

• 29FE6CBD-D730-4036-92B8-6503D247DF7F.jpeg
    29FE6CBD-D730-4036-92B8-6503D247DF7F.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 11
Getting ahead of myself here a little, but after the Beetle I’ve got a couple of others in need of some tlc;
DEBC6E85-B153-491B-A92B-A9C137C24C92.jpeg

The Subaru Impreza has been significantly modified in the motor / controls department as my brother and I used to race them around the local office parks - until the security guards kicked us out! 🤣 Sadly the bodywork is trashed.

The Ford Focus is basically immaculate, aside from having lost its rear wing in a collision with a table leg 🤦‍♂️

I would like to restore my Wild Willy 1 to it's former glory. It has one broken front wishbone and more dramatic the tyres are perished due to UV.

When I looked for repair/spare parts, some years ago, there where none for available for this old kit. Has this changed in recent years ?

no digital pics. The last pics. from the model are analog one's from the 80's ;) Those pics. are tucked away as is the WW. It is dismantled in a box waiting for the resto.

Could do some pics. from the broken parts, as well from the main parts. :)

Latest posts

Back