The British bike thread

In Norman times a stone was 12 pounds and 8 ounces which made 8 stones 100 pounds - a hundred weight. Then early in the medieval era one of the kings (I forget which) messed around with weighs and measures trying to standardise things nationally - part of that changed a stone to be 14 pounds which then made the 8 stone hundred weight 112 pounds in some regions while others stuck with 100 pounds. That confusing situation remained until about a century back when weights and measures were standardised once again.

In Norman times a stone was 12 pounds and 8 ounces which made 8 stones 100 pounds - a hundred weight. Then early in the medieval era one of the kings (I forget which) messed around with weighs and measures trying to standardise things nationally - part of that changed a stone to be 14 pounds which then made the 8 stone hundred weight 112 pounds in some regions while others stuck with 100 pounds. That confusing situation remained until about a century back when weights and measures were standardised once again.
Every day a schoolday, fantastic :)

Why would anyone ever think metric superior?

Back