The end is no longer nigh: Kona Bikes

Happened a few times in the tech world, big company buys a small one, screws it up and founders buy it back for less - sometimes actual pennies on the dollar. Not every merger or acquisition can be a success. At a different time, the Kona/Kent partnership might have worked out, but these have been some strange times.

Glad to here this. Does anyone know any facts about the initial sale vs. re-purchase value?

My only concern is this. So the original owners left ship. Ship became a wreck. Original owners salvaged ship.

This is a bit odd, I imagine there are both financial and emotional things at play, but there is a part of me that does say, when you leave the ship, you really do really leave ship - the decision is firm and made. Call me cynical, but of course things do change over time.

I think what I want to say is let's hope this has some permanence, with more controlled eventual handover to someone else in the future, rather than being lucrative and quick win and we need to re-bump this thread because history could potentially repeat itself copy-n-paste style.

I guess it depends whether the decision to sell was based on a big enough offer being made, or them being fed up of it. They've taken the equity out and bought back at a lower price (I assume), and possibly with some financial investment from external sources which would mean they still have the cash from the original sale in their pockets. And if they were fed up then a few years out of the industry may have been enough to reset themselves. All your points are valid though, and likewise I hope it's a renaissance for the brand. I suspect they'll always struggle to match the current top tier brands (price wise) like Trek, SC and Specialized, but then I don't really see that as a problem because they never really inhabited that particular area previously. If they sell a smaller range of solid bikes with good back up and decent spec that ticks boxes the mainstream don't then they'll hopefully rekindle some of that earlier spark.

Reactions: Woz

Latest posts

Back