This year I have mostly been......

dbmtb

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Don't have time to get in here as much as I did now I'm self-employed....

Now selling quite a lot of Cotics to happy Danes.... and steel bikes in general which means I spend a lot of time on modern gear and very little on the retros . you have to get to know what you sell if you're going to sell it right.... Also finding that the local trails are getting more and more technical and less and less suited to narrow bars and triple chainsets....

I did however get out on my Look MI80 on my regular local trail last week and it was a blast....
Couldn't get up the steepest short sharp climbs in 28-28 with a Ritchey Megabyte 1.9s and didn't dare take the wildest dropoffs on a rigid fork (didn't want to damage the bike mostly - 231 CDs are not easy to come by) but found the bike to be not THAT different to the Cotics - BFE, Soul 27 and Solaris.... when it came to all-out fun.

Narrow bar was totally weird now I've got so used to 780mm risers.... But found myself taking tighter corners and accelerating a lot faster than on the "fun bikes".

Re:

Glad to hear you're finding the time to get out & ride, and ride retro too :)

It does feel a bit strange swapping between my retro and modern bike, the difference in bar width and height is probably the weirdest thing to get used to for me.

I find my retro bikes a blast in twisty singletrack, and they go uphill pretty well too.
Anything really technical or downhill though and I have to back the speed right off on a retro.

Essentially though I have immense fun on bikes, modern or retro, just in slightly different ways.

It's always a refreshing change to ride something retro, in a good way :)

Re:

Good to hear from you

Agree on comments, bikes are fun whatever you ride but mixing modern and retro takes some getting used too!

Back