Threaded Frustration

Unless you are unlucky enough to want to cut fresh threads on a blank 1 1/4" steerer.....dies for that start about £60-£70. :(

Sure there is mileage in regional 'RB tool pools' stocked with the more difficult or expensive to find tools that can be rented out.

... ......now has anyone got a Mavic BB reamer :)

mikee":1r8uhrex said:
buy the dies and stock and do it yourself

think the dies are now up to £15 each tho

they were about three quid each when i bought them

try
http://www.tracytools.com/index.php?rou ... 1_3&page=7

Put the tool set in Johns hands and bring the bike or bit of bike needing fixed to a national meet so you can do the task in the carpark. Thus the tools dont get 'mislaid' travelling through the post ;)

Antstark:
.now has anyone got a Mavic BB reamer
Do you mean the 45degree chamfer tool:
IMG_7645.jpg

I can help with that...

I've also got a 1" VAR steerer threading tool that's gathering dust, might lend it out.

All the best,

Nice one...thats the fella! I dont need one right now but have been put off picking up a mavic BB in the past (a NOS one last year at under a tenner as well :cry: ) because non of the bike shops had the tooling ...actually most just stared at me blankly :D

danson67":2r68ru6i said:
Antstark:
.now has anyone got a Mavic BB reamer
Do you mean the 45degree chamfer tool:
IMG_7645.jpg

I can help with that...

I've also got a 1" VAR steerer threading tool that's gathering dust, might lend it out.

All the best,

Ooo, I need one of those Mavic tools too, since I've picked up a couple of the bottom brackets recently. The project(s) won't be underway until next year though.

Antstark:
actually most just stared at me blankly
Them young uns...:roll: They don't teach them any history at Bikeschool/Cytech.
They think they know everything if they can bleed disc brakes.

PM when you need it, and I'll send the tools and instructions.

All the best,

Liking the tool pool idea, although squeezing more gear into JV's boot for the Nationals might be a tall order! If we could though, then a post-ride threading/cutting/reaming/facing session could be a massive win :D

Ahead all the way for me though, whenever the build will allow...

Find a local machine shop and get them to put the steerer on the lathe to cut a new thread.
This is far easier is the steerer unbolts.

Latest posts

Back