Trimble refresh

Had some time today to put most parts on the bike.

Only three things weren't on the bike in '92 and one is the DX Rapidfire shifters, bought from someone here and in perfect working order.

The bike did start with DX Rapidfire from the donor GT, but after riding it for a while I wanted XT thumbies, because that's what everyone wanted back then. Problem was at the time I couldn't afford thumbies and levers, so the DX shifter pods were cut off and the perches smoothed and painted. The annoying things was I never really got on with thumbies but it was too late to go back.

The second thing that wasn't on the bike when first built is the stem. It's the same rise and length as the original ControlStem but without the unnecessary noodle my original one had. Sadly, a previous owner had done a really bad paint job on it, so off it went to Triple S in Bingley for powdercoating. They've done vintage motorcycle stuff for me in the past and every part has been immaculate. Quick turnaround too.

The third non-original part is the chain, The one I took off was half worn and was the bike's second chain anyway.

The seatpost is the original ControlTech but it used to be black. I switched it to another bike in the '90s and polished the annodising off.

Even though the GT donor was supposed to be specced throughout with DX, the brakes on mine were M732 XT. I didn't realise this at the time and only found out years later when I started to understand Shimano M-numbers.

So it has 95% of its original build parts, and all bar the stem noodle and seat post colour it looks exactly as it did in January '92.

It's not quite finished - just waiting for the seatpost decals. More pictures when they're on.

Took it for a quick spin up the road to check the gears were working and one thing struck me right way...what the hell made us think that 530mm (uncut) handlebars were a good idea? :rolleyes:

DSCF2418.jpg

Deore dx is a fantastic groupset and I also want to be the first to say that you have a beautiful bike in the same way that somebody would say you have a beautiful wife 🤣 ..... I sold both my wives 😖

Back