Unusual Avid SD Ultimate Levers?

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out, I thought I'd share some recent findings.

Recently picked up a black set to match better on the Mongoose Amplifier. Comparing the black set that replaced the silver set, I noticed a few subtle but significant differences.

The silver set is the typical set I've seen and own (two sets) for canti brakes. I've never owned and only seen few pictures of samples of the "v-chipped" versions for v-brakes and from that the only difference i've seen/read was a small adaptation to the cable end holder to draw a little more cable. Performance wasn't suppose to have been improved a whole lot.

However the black set I now own doesn't have this v-chip adaptation. But instead the pivot arm is longer on the lever, making the pivot point on the lever body much closer to the clamp. Second the levers are shorter "2-finger" style on the black levers vs the longer "4-finger" style on the silver. Lastly the black levers has been tapered before the bend into the pivot arm.

With the longer pivot arm on the black set, I'm assuming you would get greater pull, and probably performs better without as "mushy" a feel to them when used with v-brakes. I had used a set of SD Ult levers with Vs before, but unfortunately I'm using these black levers with some CT canti brakes so I can't give a comparison. They do seem to take less pull to engage and give very strong and quick feedback.

Attachments

• v-chip.jpg
    v-chip.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,203
  • IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,202
  • IMG_2954.JPG
    IMG_2954.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,203
Same 2 versions are available in standard sd form.the top ones were designated L ( for linear ).

Although the v chip and speed dial do work in adjusting the pivot point ( for vee's ) it never in my experience works as well as the L versions.

Check out the 98 catalogue, explains it better than I ever could :LOL:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... 9ebeeb5faa

i knew about the SD "L" versions for the lower line Avid levers (1.0, 2.0, etc), but didn't know it applied to the Ultimates as well. Now I know, thanks!

Anyone know how common these were? I haven't seen many myself, but then I hadn't known to look till now. What's others experience?

Since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out, I thought I'd share some recent findings.

Recently picked up a black set to match better on the Mongoose Amplifier. Comparing the black set that replaced the silver set, I noticed a few subtle but significant differences.

The silver set is the typical set I've seen and own (two sets) for canti brakes. I've never owned and only seen few pictures of samples of the "v-chipped" versions for v-brakes and from that the only difference i've seen/read was a small adaptation to the cable end holder to draw a little more cable. Performance wasn't suppose to have been improved a whole lot.

However the black set I now own doesn't have this v-chip adaptation. But instead the pivot arm is longer on the lever, making the pivot point on the lever body much closer to the clamp. Second the levers are shorter "2-finger" style on the black levers vs the longer "4-finger" style on the silver. Lastly the black levers has been tapered before the bend into the pivot arm.

With the longer pivot arm on the black set, I'm assuming you would get greater pull, and probably performs better without as "mushy" a feel to them when used with v-brakes. I had used a set of SD Ult levers with Vs before, but unfortunately I'm using these black levers with some CT canti brakes so I can't give a comparison. They do seem to take less pull to engage and give very strong and quick feedback.
Hi @RockiMtn, I just got avid lever that similar with you black set and will use with cantilever brakes. Since you have experience with same setup, is it working properly?

Back