What are your retro bike plans for 2024.

Complete, consolidate, clear out.

1- I have 6 pending projects in total, I'd like to get at least 2 finished this year.
2- A brutal appraisal of my parts bin and frames etc.
3- Move on whatever I don't need, as usual I'll rotate out riders as completed builds replace them in the stable.

A side project is to finish the garage/workshop conversion I started last year, mainly weather proofing and cosmetic work.

Edit, I also want to try painting frames, I have an RM Hammer that desperately needs it, but i have a couple of cheapo frames to practice on first.

Last edited:
I’m not promising….. but,

1, Thin the fleet, at least 2 need to go

2, Sell everything I will never need from the stash.

3, Complete one more retro build, my last I think?

4, if I can tick off the above ☝️, treat myself to a 29er.

We will see how I get on? 😂, as above no promises.

Mine is to get this to its forma glory! Still a couple of parts to source but would say 90% there.
Will all be NOS or refurbished.

Attachments

• IMG_8019.jpeg
    IMG_8019.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8018.jpeg
    IMG_8018.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8020.jpeg
    IMG_8020.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7807.png
    IMG_7807.png
    456.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7725.png
    IMG_7725.png
    605.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7604.png
    IMG_7604.png
    412.2 KB · Views: 15
The bikes I want and the bikes that are easily available are unfortunately not the same…

The deals on new bikes are amazing, including 2 for 1 deals. It’s a buyer’s market.

But what I really want is pre-94 Brodie, Hei Hei, BOLX, Yo, Merlin, Hot, and other exotics. And this seems to remain a sellers market…

So whilst I continue the search for the exotics, the longer and more difficult it becomes, the more I am tempted by a new MTB, and keep my Explosif for retro duties.

1. Restoration of a late 50's Pennine 531 (needs stripping of old rusted paint and respray). I will do a home respray when the weather gets nicer in April.

2. Get my late 90's Olmo superlight (Columbus Genius) to the powdercoaters and get it built up. I have the Dura-Ace 7800 groupset ready.

3. Sell about 5 frames on eBay or here

4. Ride more! I really need to up my fitness and lose weight.

5. Buy more bike stuff on Aliexpress. I'm looking at a cool handlebar computer similar to Garmin's. Also need some carbon handlebars.

1) Buy another frame, decide what project/frame I want to do first, so a well considered project and build. 😎

2) Ride more, although still managed 5456 miles for 2023, but would like to be closer to 8000 miles this year.

3) Keep the remaining 2 Retro bikes I have, the Orange Prestige 91, Aluminium O 92. 👍

4) Continue not buying impulse purchases, which I’ve managed in 2023, and hope to stick to this trend.

Back