What do you think of Shimano ditching rim brakes in 105 and higher?

Brake-by-wire, you know you want to. 🙂

Bring on FUSA (ISO26262) & SOTIF, UN ECE-155 & UN ECE-156

To be fair, the last two should be being applied to e-bikes but that’s another thread.

You don't need to "break" the reservoir. If you break the lever, you also bin and replace the reservoir as it's built in

Top level stuff is going all electric. Within 5 years anything 105 or better will be electric only (my prediction)
Pretty sure you can replace the levers? Or just buy cable discs (or a cable/hydraulic converter).

As for the electric stuff, can't see it replacing as low down as 105/SLX unless the price comes down loads.

When the shiny new £11k Kevin fails due to broken electronic Sram (which seems common)

The original Di2 was very nice to setup and robust. Looking at the broken gizzards of Etap, it is not

I suspect that there are very many unbroken sets of SRAM electronic gears working perfectly day in, day out. People very rarely post on the Internet when things are going well.

You keep shoehorning in the cost of a fully custom bike, totally unrelated to the topic at hand. What’s the day rate for a skilled tradesman? £500+ these days. £11k to have a bike designed, built and fitted around you by a craftsman… Take off £5k for the bits hanging off it and the frame comes to 12 days work which seems more than reasonable.

YMMV, obviously.

yes but I could have a garage full happy fun ridin' iron (rim and disc!), 3 cars and change for fish,chips and an onion ring

£11,000 is an obscene amount of money for a bicycle. Even if you take off the £5000 for parts. If you have the money of course and feel the need why not. I couldn't live with myself spending that though. Only guaranteed for five years....

Pretty sure you can replace the levers? Or just buy cable discs (or a cable/hydraulic converter).

As for the electric stuff, can't see it replacing as low down as 105/SLX unless the price comes down loads.
You can. £250 for 105s. And that's one side only and not di2 and 105 is the entry level competition group.
Didnt dare look at ultegra or DA.
Like I said, a potentially expensive repair

Back