What do you think of Shimano ditching rim brakes in 105 and higher?

Everyone I ride with who has disks has intermittent rubbing of pad and disk. Especially when uphill and out of the saddle. As someone who finds climbing the hardest aspect of cycling, this sound would wind me up on my bike. So they may self adjust, as you say, but do they self centre? Or is the adjusted tolerance that close that any slight flex of the wheel produces drag?

Lots of people also have intermittent rubbing of brake pads when climbing on rim braked bikes.

Have a think about how a disc brake is constructed, what the disc and caliper is connected to, and ask yourself what the likelihood is that ‘wheel flex’ will cause disc brakes to rub.

Lots of people also have intermittent rubbing of brake pads when climbing on rim braked bikes.

Have a think about how a disc brake is constructed, what the disc and caliper is connected to, and ask yourself what the likelihood is that ‘wheel flex’ will cause disc brakes to rub.
Well all my riding buddies on disks have that problem. That's 3 out of 3 disk users. I know in absolute terms that's a very small sample from all the world's disk users, but it's 100%.
So if you could let me know what you think is rubbing with every honk up the hill if it can't be the disk brake

The disc is connected to the hub and the caliper is connected to the fork leg or chainstay. Wheels flex from the spokes outwards. You could bend the rim to horizontal and the relationship between the disc and caliper will not change.

Something might be causing the discs to rub, but it isn’t wheel flex. Poor climbing technique or improper system set up are more likely causes.

Interested to know how you're going to break it to your riding buddies that they have poor climbing technique...:D

:LOL: - Just tell them to freewheel?

Probably more related to frame flex and / or a rotor slightly out of true. Disk rubbing drove me mad too; the BB7s seemed to be sensitive to dirt and the spring to keep the pads separated would get worse over time. In fairness, I've also had a very floppy Mavic Classics Pro rim brake wheelset that would rub the brakes when out of the saddle.

Shimano is a business. They obviously don't sell enough to keep it going, nearly all new bikes are disc. Don't see a problem. Happened years ago with mountain bikes, and as everyone else said, it's easy to keep a retro bike going so not going to be an issue for anyone. Maybe if you want really top end buy now and keep them locked away

Cheap/ Flexy frames usually have disc rub when climbing. It’s the frame or fork flexing rather than the wheels

A decent frame won’t have that issue.

Discs are far superior to rim brakes in every way apart from weight. It’s worth the extra grams for the upgrade even for a summer bike.

Rim brakes are most certainly not "obsolete". Because for one thing, they still work just fine.

They have been superseded is all (unfortunately, in the case of road bikes).
And saying they are 'obsolete' doesn't help the rim brake product cycle one iota.

Back