What is the best groupset over the past 25 years (1998-2023) in your opinion?

I thought my brake blocks (20 year old Campagnolo) were ok - still seemed to stop as they'd always done and loads of material to go before the replace markers - then I built another bike with new kit. The braking difference was so marked that after my first real ride on it I bought new blocks for the other bike.

Ultegra 8000 for me. Yes, it’s arguably not much to look at, but I’m not looking at it while I’m riding. Functionally I’ve found it to be pretty much flawless, requiring very little maintenance or adjustments. Can be had for a reasonable price. For old out of shape fools such as myself that still attempt steep climbs, it can be setup with 11-34 cassettes. Reasonably lightweight too. Just wish it was available in chrome.

Dura Ace 7700 and 7800. I have two road bikes with these groupsets. Both are set and forget. 7700 is aesthetically better and shifts better, but 7800 shifts much quieter, brakes better and the shifter/brakes in hand feel better - more ergonomic. The shifter/brake levers themselves are practically identical visually but the upper portion of the hoods is much different. 7700 pedals are not as tall at the spring release mechanism and as such, can double as a platform for very casual rides. 7800 rear derailleur can be kind of a pain in the ass to get dialed, but could be a problem with my own unit.

Some have mentioned asymmetrical crank arm on the 7800 set. I have 7803 cranks which is a symmetric 5-bolt pattern crank arm and chainring set.

7700 rear hub and freehub are super quiet. No idea with 7800 as my wheelset are old Mavic Cosmic's...which to this day have not had a service are work as smooth as melted butter. All in all I like them both and they both perform well. I wasn't too impressed with Tri-color. That groupset was pretty heavy as well.

Last edited:
For me, Shimano 7800 and Campagnolo Centaur 10 x 2 Speed which had the multi gear down shift sweep (c 2010?). Choice of silver alloy and carbon components like cranks/mechs/and ergos so you could mix and match for the retro look- I have it on 3 steel bikes and no issues as regular rides. Later versions of Centaur were dumbed down as it was better value than higher Campagnolo Groupsets of it's era. Very comfortable ergo design too for the hands on the hoods. Haven't bothered with 11/12 speed as don't feel the need and can swap wheels to my heart's content!

Was that Campy Centuar with the carbon components lighter or just for looks?
Carbon was lighter, not that it matters that much at my age now! Take your choice ref derailleurs, ergo levers and chainsets. Only silver alloy Centaur brake calipers were offered (the Pinarello Banesto features Record Titanium),

Attachments

• tommasini 014.jpg
    tommasini 014.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 31
  • P1060832.JPG
    P1060832.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The Sram 22 series. I've had several of the Force 22 incarnation as well as bits and bobs of others. The Red 22 was one of the lightest (and still is). Love the simplicity of the double tap shift mechanism, really simple and actually serviceable unlike Shimano. I've swapped out internals of the mechanism as they've worn.

Back