What is your favourite retro Fork?

madjh

98+ BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
I have been trying the Judy XC and the mach 5 and they are ... well, I pefer a rigid fork. But there are one that I have always liked. The Marzocchi Z2. Everydody saids that it was the best ... but today, do they perform well? I will know the answer next month when my Z2 arrives.

I like the old school Manitous, they look really nice, but I hate how they perform .. and for me the bicycle must ride well, not only looks nice.

So, I have choose the Z2 for my 23 years old Marin and I think it looks really nice :) :

1-jpg.4896086

The longer a-c Project Two TB. Great handling forks.

I have rode everything from rigid alu forks to 8 inch custom tuned DH forks and lots inbetween. For me the ride is just as much about the involvement with the terrain. I learnt to ride the terrain on rigid and thats where i feel most connected and involved.

For sure, a well set up bike and suspension, blasting through roots and rocks, is pretty amazing, but hitting them rigid and floating over is a lot more rewarding for me.

Mark

Old Specialized Stumpy' cro-mo forks in 1" flavour. Got one with a short steerer in a 18" Bridgestone MB-2, 710 gr. weight, work like a charm, I suspect they're Ritchey Logics in disguise.

AMP forks are also pretty nice, just don't expect their performance is any similar to "classic" design susp. forks.
Yeah, I'm also in the "short or no travel at all" camp :twisted: !

Re:

Had a couple of Z2's but always found the springs a bit too soft for me, but I do think they actually perform the best of that era of suspension fork.
I really like the Girvin linkage forks, the later Crosslink especially.

Re:

I've got a set of Z2 super fly on my Santa Cruz & they still perform well & are a good chunk lighter than the CR's it came to me with.
If I was choosing a rigid the Mk1 Rc30's just look epic.

Re:

Ritchey Logics are cracking forks, in fact I wish I had some more. Really like RC30's as well.

I also have some Kelly forks that I'm rather fond of... no plans to let those go any time soon :D

Re:

Fitting a Ti Morati fork a few years ago was a revelation. Ridiculously light, stiff yet it just absorbs small bumps and trail buzz. Wish I had known about them bitd.

Back