What Retrobike "feature" do you avoid when looking for bikes?

Threaded puts the fork shock on the fork threads - nothing lasts forever, and forks are expensive😢
Well cared for and never ridden loose or much offroad though, a decent threaded headset should outlast the rider.
But he or she won't have an alloy or carbon steerer.
So it depends what you want, as it so often does😉

PS @benjabbi a constantly loosening headset is a worn out headset - you can chose between always carrying headset Spanners or a new headset, which is lighter😄

I think it's a bit luck of the draw, I'd agree on the most part, the proper tabbed lock washer helps in most cases as well. I have had a couple though that just refuse to stay tight. No matter how hard you lock the nuts together, even with added blue Locktite left to cure properly for a few days. 5 miles into the next ride, loose headset. I wonder if it's ridden while loose the rocking causes the threads to deform slightly then you're fighting a losing battle whatever you try?
On that particular bike I ended up throwing my toys out the pram and switched it out to Ahead, problem solved.
Any experience with "griplock" or top nuts assembled with tiny allen-head bolts horizontally, so they can grip (and slightly damage it of course) the steerer and thus secure the locknut in place? I know it's a futile attempt but may be a help against loosening.

re the topic:
alu, bonded tubes, anything plastic
1 1/4 headtube' frames
hidden cable routing
Magura and Magura-spec cable guides
70 or 73 mm BB housing
gaspipe special tubeset
steel rims, rusty spokes (if oem)
alu rigid forks

Any experience with "griplock" or top nuts assembled with tiny allen-head bolts horizontally, so they can grip (and slightly damage it of course) the steerer and thus secure the locknut in place? I know it's a futile attempt but may be a help against loosening.
Often a sign of a dead headset - it won't hurt, but probably won't fix it - the loosening forces are pretty high, it might lead to thread damage.
IMG_20240330_142907.jpg
Modern tange headsetsstart at £15, and so far apart to last for ever.
You need to inspect the threads though, they might be damaged, and the loosening headset will be slowly killing them.

Edit: this is a fit & forget, definitely not one to avoid.
Mori Epoch self adjusting headset as fitted to Araya Muddy Fox.

Attachments

• FF26B497-51E0-4F57-8FAE-FB9F6B2F0918.jpeg
    FF26B497-51E0-4F57-8FAE-FB9F6B2F0918.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 63459B79-BAB2-4648-83FD-67EC226696A0.jpeg
    63459B79-BAB2-4648-83FD-67EC226696A0.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Super light inner tubes.. Air B and the like. Couldn’t even guarantee a single ride out of them.

Worse yet when paired with Mavic 230s, for the ultimate in flimsy wheels.

1. Any fad feature that was not mud compatible or more marketing or pet project than helpful - under chainstay u-brakes, e-stay, most early 90s full sus etc.
2. Any dodgy Alu frame design Or cheap Alu - not a forgiving material for bad engineering.
3. Any stuck bb or seat posts - more about my limits this one.
4. Colorful anodizing that’s been overdone.
5. I will break any of the rules above for a bike that sings to my heart (like the HS Cannondale I bought - 🙄)

Latest posts

Back