Wanted XL 29er

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
A tentative post as I’m not really sure what I’m looking for in terms of brand etc. I’ve been riding my 700c disc road bike on CX tyres and found its limitations in terms of comfort and ride ability when I’m hitting muddier and rockier tracks. Someone I met while I fixed yet another flat on a ride suggested I look for a 29er with tubeless tyres so here I am!

I’d usually build something but I’m just looking for something that’s more or less complete and I can take straight out riding and not be too bothered about.

Looking for something that is big enough - I’m 6’2”, hardtail, has tubeless 29” disc wheelset, has decent gearing - i.e. not a 1x as I usually do quite a bit of road to get to other tracks. It’s for mostly forest tracks, bridleways and cross country so ideally has front suspension. Saddle and pedals not important as I usually replace.

If it were a road bike or older MTB I’d kind of know what brands etc I’d be looking out for on eBay but I just get square eye’s looking at more modern stuff so any pointers would be appreciated thanks in advance!

Postage or not too far from Peterborough ideally. It’s an experimental toe in the water for me so don’t want to spend loads, age/prestige not important as long as it’s rideable.

Otherwise it depends if you want cheap, light, capable off road…. The choices really come down to budget and what you want it for?

Otherwise it depends if you want cheap, light, capable off road…. The choices really come down to budget and what you want it for?
Ah budget I missed off! As little as possible!
Was hoping to spend low hundreds.
Lightweight not so important for me as I’m 16 stone already.

In terms of what I want it for - when I see a track/bridleway/field from the road or another track I head off down it to investigate. I’m struggling with my skinny CX tyres when I hit mud etc. Just need a bit more cushion. I’m not after something raceworthy etc.

Have you got a link to your Cube and a price please it may give me a better idea. My disc road bike is a cube from cycle2work.

There’s plenty out there that will suit then mate. Something like a 2013/4/5 Orange Clockwork 29 would be spot on and not too expensive. On One Whippet is worth a look too. The Scott, Specialized, Giant and Trek have all been making 29ers long enough to still be 2x or 3x and come within budget. Second hand market is terrible atm so don’t be shy with cheeky offers.

My Cube is on pink bike but probably over budget tbh.

Thanks will give those some consideration, needed to find out some of the models/brands that are most likely to fit the bill so that’s a great help. Will keep a look out here too.

Back