Bottom bracket tool retaining bolt.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Dudes.

I need to make myself a BB tool retaining bolt. You all know the problem I have so I'll not go into details, let's just say the BB's not coming out, drive side stuck solid.

I know I need an M8 bolt but do you have a Go To supplier for them as I'm struggling to find a suitable bolt for a fair price on Ebay. The best deal I can find is to buy a pack of 5 for a little over £6.

I'll need M8 x 60mm. I know 60mm is longer than I'll need but better have more than less, I can cut off the excess.

Link to bolts for sale on the E-Thingie

Thanks in advance

Trebz

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
A hardware shop ought to have something - if you take a bb bolt with you to check the pitch.
Iirc bb sq taper bolt thread is m8x1mm (fine)
There are tools available with the extractor and a captive bolt to secure - but the cheap option is to have a shallow bb extractor so you just use a large washer over the bb bolt you've got in your hand.
Genius!

You can also use it on the "adjustable" side 1/2 a turn or so (leave the m8 bolt a half turn loose) which breaks the bond - then you can take the bolt out and unscrew as normal.
Then do the drive side.
Taking the non- dive side out first also usually makes the drive side easier, so it's a double plus.

Hehehe

Nailed it. Aftet two weeks of Plus Gas down the seat tube and a daily kettle full of boiling waterpoured over the outer BB shell I got it out with the bolt and washer trick and a 24" Halfords Breaker Bar and 32mm socket.

I've not been beaten yet by a Bottom Bracket and this one wasn't going to beat me. It was the Plus Gas and hot water that did the trick in my opinion but the lottle bolt tool made that last little part easier. I trashed my old faithful BB tool last week trying to get the BB out but I has no means of securing the tool, I happened to find a BB bolt which was a little longer then the usual, found a brand new washer ( I have bags of them) and drilled out the holto 8mm. Tightened it all up and the first push on the beaker bar gave the tell tale 'Squeek' from the BBG thread. The rest of the thread came out with minimal fuss after loosening it off a little then adding a squirt of GT85, I wound the thread back in a few turns to add more lube to the BB shell thread then the rest came out without issue.

Thanks for the imput guys.

Trebz.

Back