Mystery Mercian

So, I finally picked up the Mercian yesterday and I am very impressed with it. Last 2 digits of the frame number are 81 so assume that is the year it was built? It’s not been used for a while so needs a really good clean and light restoration
IMG_2208.jpeg IMG_2209.jpeg IMG_2212.jpeg IMG_2210.jpeg IMG_2213.jpeg
IMG_2221.jpeg

My Uncle had a shed full of cycle parts so I may change a few things. Nice Brooks, Miche pedals, loads of nos cassettes and chains. Also a set of lovely Campag wheels
IMG_2216.jpeg IMG_2217.jpeg IMG_2219.jpeg

NoS chain anyone 😎
IMG_2222.jpeg

Having a rummage through my Uncles old bike catalogs I found this torn out between one of the pages. I think this is what it is. The spec matches up almost exactly ..including the NOS Miche pedals and Galli toe clips I found. Shifters are Campag on his rather than Suntour power shifters ..but I also found 3 sets of those so may replace them.
IMG_2258.jpeg

Having a rummage through my Uncles old bike catalogs I found this torn out between one of the pages. I think this is what it is. The spec matches up almost exactly ..including the NOS Miche pedals and Galli toe clips I found. Shifters are Campag on his rather than Suntour power shifters ..but I also found 3 sets of those so may replace them.
View attachment 850615
Bingo !

Just reading up on the Suntour Ultra 6 freewheel..6 cogs in the space of 5 with narrow chain. The bike currently has a five speed set up but I have a nos ultra 6 chain so may look out for the correct freewheel…only found silly US prices on eBay so far. Supposed to have a 13-32 spread which is bigger than all my MTBs !

Started the strip down and clean today. The mechs have come up well..then spent an hour trying to find somewhere that sold the right size stepped cable ends for the ‘divers helmet’ frame guides 🫤

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_2356.jpeg
IMG_2211.jpeg
IMG_2351.jpeg
Stronglight chainset being removed tonight for cleaning ..16mm crank bolts ..wtf! Had to use a thin wall spark plug socket to get them off. Anyway, that’s tomorrow’s job along with a bottom bracket service. Mountain bikes are so much easier 🤣

Last edited:
TA and stronglight crank bolt removal tool I've ground down a standard socket, trying not to spoil the temper with all that heat.

I hadn't thought a spark plug socket would be slim enough (or the right size!)
Of course a 16mm crank bolt usually spoils your own temper🤯

Back