Vintage Viking Identification

It's a shame when the original makers details are lost.
With the wrong frame number format and the riveted badge that's glued on, the true identity may never be found.

Given the nice brazing on the brake bridge and other details, it's likely its it's a quality tubeset.
The low frame number might mean a very small output, like a bike shop.
The letters could be the builder's or the shop's initials.

It should have a nice ring when flicked with a fingernail.
Seatpost size offers some clue to quality - as a rule only the thinnest tube would take a 27.2 post - although given the pump pegs, lamp boss, eyes etc its probably a bit more practical, so would likely use a heavier gauge tube for rigidity and strength.
It's got a front derailleur guide, top end stuff at this time!

It's a shame when the original makers details are lost.

With the wrong frame number format and the riveted badge that's glued on, the true identity may never be found.

Given the nice brazing on the brake bridge and other details, it's likely its it's a quality tubeset.

The low frame number might mean a very small output, like a bike shop.

The letters could be the builder's or the shop's initials.

It should have a nice ring when flicked with a fingernail.

Seatpost size offers some clue to quality - as a rule only the thinnest tube would take a 27.2 post - although given the pump pegs, lamp boss, eyes etc its probably a bit more practical, so would likely use a heavier gauge tube for rigidity and strength.

It's got a front derailleur guide, top end stuff at this time!
Thanks, I agree it's a shame I'd just be happy knowing it was a Viking at this stage. My thoughts are why go to all the effort of putting Viking badge and sign on if it wasn't a Viking???

I definitely think it is a quality frame worthy of being used and of the 50s/60s

Seat post is 26.8mm so not that thin? I will flick it when I get home to see if it has a nice ring.

Those viking badges are pretty.
In the 80s people would pinch a head badge from a tired old bike (and throw the rest away) and stick it on their own machine - the prettiest badges were the most popular.

26.8 is a quality size for a sports tourer.

Trouble is, there were hundreds of frame makers around then, and information is patchy.

It should be possible soon to get AI to look through the whole Internet and collate all recorded frame numbers with manufacturers - then we can find close matches and take it from there. There's a load of knowledge out there but specifics like this are really difficult atm

So curved brake bridge not unique then... And... there are 4 frame numbers listed on the Classic Viking site which begin with Axnnn but no info as to which model they represent. I think you do have a genuine Viking - possibly (probably

All great information thanks and I suppose we are never going to know for sure are we?

I just hope it is a Viking as I really like their history and as you say the badge is pretty 

With a 26.8mm seat post I'm guessing that could be Reynolds 531 as they come with ranging diameters?

I don't think it is a frame from the 80s with a badge stuck on I'm sure the frame has some age given the lugs etc... but I suppose it could have been made later by any small frame maker.

I just think it odd that there are no rivet holes, did Viking or manufacturers in general ever stick on badges rather than rivet them?

There is also a small raised bump near where the downtube shifter goes that is interesting or weird looks like it could have been a braised version at some point, I will take a photo and share as I'm sure it's been seen before and has a purpose or reason

I'm also really struggling to find any other bikes/pictures with the same headtube lug shapes all Nervex lugs seem much shorter and dare I say it less ornate!

The stop on the down tube is to stop the band on gear levers sliding/moving on the tube.
I think it is a very late 50s/60s Viking. The lugs are correct as are the drop outs. As has been said many builders used the same parts, so we may never know. Build, ride, enjoy. I think it will make a very handsome bicycle built up.

The stop on the down tube is to stop the band on gear levers sliding/moving on the tube.

I think it is a very late 50s/60s Viking. The lugs are correct as are the drop outs. As has been said many builders used the same parts, so we may never know. Build, ride, enjoy. I think it will make a very handsome bicycle built up.

Amazing makes perfect sense and I thought I had seen it on other bikes but just couldn't connect the dots here it is for reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240503_190902_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240503_190902_Gallery.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240503_190855_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240503_190855_Gallery.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 3
Back