What can you tell me about Halfords bikes?

non-fixie

Senior Retro Guru
Fifteen or so years ago old bikes were just that and they were cheap. Which is partly why I became interested. It is also why I ended up with an attic full of parts donor bikes. :rolleyes:

Anyway, some of those cheap bikes are branded "Halfords Sport". Who built those? Did Halfords have regular suppliers? Did they just buy batches every now and then from whoever had bikes available cheaply and flog them in their stores?

Two examples from the same era which are quite different:

The nicest one I have is this one. It sports a Reynolds 531 main triangle and a decent selection of Japanese parts.

16afe367-c877-4ce4-9066-a0a87cebf49d.jpg

Looks very much like an English product:

174bbdc1-07b2-44f8-a164-65e34d3f2872.jpg

Here is another one. Given the "Guaranteed built with R.C. tubes" decal I believe this one came from the Superia works in Belgium. French parts on this one.

1a230e13b628678202392efbcbb6261e.jpg

Superia_2.jpg

Just curious. TIA for any information.

The wrapover stay on the top one is just like a Carlton of that era. Is it a Raleigh product? Any frame numbers stamped in it which might help identify it?

I have some old Halford Catalogues. I will have a look for any information. However think they may pre date your bikes.

The wrapover stay on the top one is just like a Carlton of that era. Is it a Raleigh product? Any frame numbers stamped in it which might help identify it?

Carlton and Falcon were the brands that came to mind, but at the time I got that first bike, I wasn't able to confirm either. I don't recall seeing a serial number, but I shall dig out the bike for another look.

The Belgian frame doesn't have a serial number, as far as I can see.

Found some interesting snippets of information in an old thread about Halfords International bikes:

Retrobike.png

The Dutch branch was subject to a buy-out by the local management, in de mid-eighties I believe.

Found some interesting snippets of information in an old thread about Halfords International bikes:

View attachment 848505

The Dutch branch was subject to a buy-out by the local management, in de mid-eighties I believe.
Thanks for the info 👍 takes me right back to 1978-9 lusting after a white top of the range Halfords Elan. It had Simplex gears, Weinnman 605 side pulls with QR, and skinny Weinnman concave rims shod with the new Michelin Elan 700c wire on's. I had a Dawes Chevron 5-speed racer with 26 inch wheels and would regularly make the detour into town on the way home from school just to see them skinny rims. Fat butt's and skinny wheels.. think that's the Elan on the album cover, can't find a picture but very similar to the International apart from the wheels, brakes and think the chain set was silver. Fortunately as a grotty teenager I was into Punk 😉

Screenshot_20240513-062531.png Screenshot_20240513-063312.png

Last edited:
Back