1993 Kona Hot

By 1993 Konas were measured from centre of bottom bracket to top of seat tube, which would make that an 18".
I think I am right in saying that earlier ones were measured from the top of bottom bracket shell to top of seat tube.

Nice to finally see this. Definitely would be my 1st choice for a steel Kona frame. I'm no expert on whether its suspension corrected or not. If it is I'd guess it would have been minimally.

Maybe worth a try to install a 395 A-C fork c/w wheels and see about checking the resulting head angle

I use a smartphone app called angle meter, not sure how accurate it is but better than nothing. Of course setting the wheels on a level floor surface

I agree this is an 18" frame. Catalogue shows all 93' models should have a 71 degree head angle

If it looks closer to 72 it could be suspension corrected. Far from exact measuring but may give an idea 👍

Lovely Kona Hot the green is really nice 👍
I can't see that the Tange Prestige Concept sticker will be original with it having the Tange Prestige Ultimate Ultrastrong tubing like the 93 Explosif,it should look like this.

Attachments

• IMG_20231110_194859_edit_5167046533767814.jpg
    IMG_20231110_194859_edit_5167046533767814.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Lovely Kona Hot the green is really nice 👍
I can't see that the Tange Prestige Concept sticker will be original with it having the with it having the Tange Prestige Ultimate Ultrastrong tubing like the 93 Explosif,it should look like this.
Agreed not sure what to make of it. I think it odd as well that it doesn’t have the Ultra strong decal on it. I did read an article somewhere that mentioned the recalling to be a little sketchy as in using old stock if they didn’t have the correct ones at times🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed not sure what to make of it. I think it odd as well that it doesn’t have the Ultra strong decal on it. I did read an article somewhere that mentioned the recalling to be a little sketchy as in using old stock if they didn’t have the correct ones at times🤷🏻‍♂️
Is the paint original or has it been resprayed in the past, if it's been resprayed then it would probably explain the decals being mismatched.
93 headtube and downtube,looks like a 92 font for the Hot decal and the Joe Murray toptube one looks to be 92 as does the Tange Prestige Concept.
I'm sure GIl will have the 93 Hot decals on file.

Looking at the 93 catalogue the Explosif and the Kilauea both have the blue Prestige decals. The bike hasn’t been resprayed.
For sure the 93' Explosif & Kilauea are prestige concept, it's always possible a previous owner needed to replace the tubing decal and could only source a prestige concept version, I assume your decals are above the clearcoat.

@al-onestare is it safe to say the tubing used would have to have been Prestige Ultimate Ultrastrong for a 93' Hot?

For sure the 93' Explosif & Kilauea are prestige concept, it's always possible a previous owner needed to replace the tubing decal and could only source a prestige concept version, I assume your decals are above the clearcoat.

@al-onestare is it safe to say the tubing used would have to have been Prestige Ultimate Ultrastrong for a 93' Hot?

93 Explosif definitely has the Prestige Ultimate Ultrastrong tubing and that Hot has aswell you can tell just off the ribbed downtube. Plus with the Hot being above the Explosif, Kona couldn't really use a lesser tubing, imagine that.
"Here's your Kona Hot sir"
"Hold on whys it only got Concept tubing and the Explosif has Ultimate Ultrastrong"
"nothing to worry about Sir, it's a Hot and has TET stamped on it, it's a way better bike because of it" lol
Then the man from Kona runs out the back to the mechanics.
"right! which one of you thought it would be funny to make a Kilauea look like a Hot by respraying it and stamping TET on the BB" 🤣

Looking at the 93 catalogue the Explosif and the Kilauea both have the blue Prestige decals. The bike hasn’t been resprayed.
Just a reference shot for you to look at to compare the two,but this was when i had the 93 Kilauea and had it next to my Explosif.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127_094139_com.android.gallery3d_edit_811505462633463.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_094139_com.android.gallery3d_edit_811505462633463.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 19
Back