Building the bike nobody wanted. 1991 RidgeRunner.

So for a steerer, are the RST steel ones any good.
Or should I go for a Ti one.

One is 20,- inc postage and the other is 57,- inc postage.
Leaning towards the Ti one eventhough it's a tad more expensive, the fork was already expensive so..?
Edit; The bike will not leave my hands, ever. So maybe just go all in.

Don't bother with Ti. The walls are pretty thick and i think an aluminum steerer ends up lighter. A cro-mo steel steerer is thinner walled, but i don't think there is much in it, weight wise, between the three options. Head over to the steerer swap thread and ask around, or put a wanted ad up. Someone will have something.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
As for your stud sizes, dont know if its been answered, but i had a chance to measure a few today.

Standard cantilever boss....8.0mm x 16.2mm
U Brake boss 8.9mm x 16.8mm

Last edited:
Can i ask what the dremmling on the back of the brake levers was for? I dont recall needing to touch that bit when i removed the pods from a set a couple of years back....

20220418_175821.jpg

They didn't really fit "into" shifterpods. I was going to polish them regardless so I wanted to have as good a fit as I can so the shifter lever isn't skewed.
I'll have a look for the brake bosses in that size.
Thanks for measuring, let's hope standard BMX will fit.

I found the parts list and it's part 83C 9807 and 83C 9808 (I assume I want the light alloy version for this frame).
Tried to measure the inside of the U-brake and it's more like 0.75mm height.
Having utterly no clue what I'm talking about annoys the sh*t out of me because I've never seen U Brakes let alone took one apart.
And the internet.. ugggggrr..

Attachments

• BR-M733 Parts list.jpg
    BR-M733 Parts list.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 1
All shimano u brakes have the same stud size.....thats basically the brake im using....just without the booster......but its the same fit.

I'm a complete idiot.

This one is for an under mount.
This is how it's "correct" on the right side on my frame, it should be left turned around on the bottom chainstay.
Because I did the lettering the correct readable side up it would not in more then 7mm, NOW it's eactly 17mm in but it's on the wrong side on the wrong end.

This shit is doing my head in 🤣, in reality I'm not really laughing.

Edit; Nevermind, I think it's supposed to be upside down.. but why.. it doesn't make sense.
Then again the Japanese do write from top to bottom don't they. I'm tired, I need a beer.

Attachments

• wrong ones.jpg
    wrong ones.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yes. They are all made for undermount. So the lettering will be the wrong way round on a seat stay.

And yes...they will be on opposite sides to underneath.

Back