Grahame’s 1999 DeKerf Singlespeed

grahame

Senior Retro Guru
Inspired by finding @konasexthreerider’s thread, here’s my DeKerf Singlespeed thread.

I bought the frame after my friend, the late Mike Hall, let me have a ride on his. “You have to have a ride on my singlespeed. It’s brilliant fun.” Then “You’ll get up there. Use the power of ‘Bwaaarrrrp!’” His was chocolate brown, so I had to get the other colour that Chris had painted these first series singlespeed frames - a sort of Landrover Series 1 creamy green.

In true singlespeed style (having read Keith Bontrager’s article about singlespeed bodgery) I built it up with what was available in my spares boxes. Then the build evolved. I suppose now it would be considered some sort of retromod (?) but it really is a build based on what I have available and works when something needs replacing. It’s no garage queen - it has been ridden. Hard.

The build:
DeKerf series 1 Singlespeed frame (1999) medium.
Chris King Nothreadset (black)
Fox Float 100 RLC forks.
Titec “Big Al” stem 105mm.
Easton EA30 riser bars with ODI “Yeti” Lock-On grips.
Easton Havoc seatpost.
Selle Italia Flite TransAlp saddle.
Shimano DX cranks with Syncros 36 tooth chainring.
XT cartridge bottom bracket.
Time ATAC Alium pedals
Deore front hub in a Mavic 217 rim. Snowflake laced because the spokes I had were a few mm too long.
DMR Singlespeed rear hub in a Ryde rim.
DT 14/15 gauge double butted spokes with brass nipples.
Salsa “Rasta” skewers.
White Industries 16 tooth freewheel (the biggest spend, other than the frame - because I got fed up of changing Shimano freewheels every few months. It’s been on for about 20 years - certainly at least 3 rims - without a hiccup).
“Can’t remember the brand” track chain gifted by an older gentleman member of Addiscombe CC when I needed a new chain.
Vittoria Mota 26x2.5” front tyre (I like a lot of grip at the front), and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 26x2.2” rear tyre. Both running tubeless.
Avid BB7 front disc brake with 185mm rotor.
XTR V-brake at the rear.
XTR V-brake levers.
Blackburn mini pump and bottle cage.
Crud Guard and Race Guard.
Oh, and a green CBMBA (Crested Butte Mountain Bike Association) bell.

Attachments

• IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Looks great! I have a disc rotor to match your top tube decal :)

One F***ing Speed

Back