Great big Singlespeed thread!

DMR one digs into Hope alloy freehubs with tenacity and determination.

A Bastard to remove.

Use the stainless steel freehub body in preference.

The Gusset one for SRAM XD Hope freehubs is IMPOSSIBLE to remove. Once on, never can be removed.
Even with a six foot scaffolding pole as a lever.
Fortunately the cog itself bolts onto the now-impossible-to-remove carrier, so all is not lost.

Vote FOR the Halo/Brick Road Bikes wide flange cog pictured above.
Nice.

Thanks for the suggestions . Currently I’ve taken one out of an old cassette, but I think it’ll dig in the freehub so am after a wider one, it’ll check some of those out.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I tried that with a SRAM casette, but I found that it didn't hold the chain as well as a single speed specific cog. I think the ramps manufactured into it for shifting caused the problem
I would think it's just the wider teeth, the ramps only catch the side of the chain coming from a smaller cog. But also, SS cogs have taller teeth, and a worn chain/cassette cog would be further in the opposite direction, shorter and worn teeth.

I would think it's just the wider teeth, the ramps only catch the side of the chain coming from a smaller cog. But also, SS cogs have taller teeth, and a worn chain/cassette cog would be further in the opposite direction, shorter and worn teeth.
I assumed there was some type of machining to allow the chain to slip off more easily. Truth be told, I was also using a ring from a 3x up front, so it was probably responsible for half of the drops too. Both have been replaced with gear specific to the purpose.

I assumed there was some type of machining to allow the chain to slip off more easily. Truth be told, I was also using a ring from a 3x up front, so it was probably responsible for half of the drops too. Both have been replaced with gear specific to the purpose.
Yeh I'm fairly certain the machined bits (on the left in this pic) actually catch the side of the plates and/or pins and pull it up. The chamfered bits (on the bottom in pic) do er, not sure. But without sideways movement none of these should affect an SS chain, so I would think it would be the chain line, tension, or tooth wear. I'm an expert by the way, I spent several minutes looking at different cogs over the past year, so everything I say should be taken as gospel. 🤓

1697806627430.png

Yes that will be a Big contribution - I thought I could simply use a 42 from a triple and it resulted in frequent chain drops.

Back