NOS FRM/Venturi Build

Those cleaned up well.

The hunt is better than the kill. Got the 230 for like ten bucks from a bike flipper who is knowledgeable, but burned out I guess, and also I suspect wifey is in the "get this stuff out of my garage NOW" mode. Very little brake wear. The 231 was included in a giant Box-O-Parts I scored on Ebay, it does have some brake track wear but it was impeccably clean, as were most of the XTR parts he was tired of. Two sets of brakes and levers. 3 DR's. Pedals, a hub. I dunno what all else. Big box. Suspect his spouse was in the same mode. Mine is not; not yet anyway.

Guess I could take some steel wool to that thing; not eager to lose one molecule of material but... I'd rather look good, etc.

On the road for the next two weeks, staying near Asheville NC which is a good mountain biking town, nestled in ancient misty mountains that blaze in Day-Glo orange in the fall. Presently covered in snow now, but the bike thrift shop (!) is open, and I'm gonna be digging for gold

So I need to book a trip to North Carolina, is what you're saying?

Ha! Score. Campy rims are *really* hard to come by in the US, but oddly don't seem to fetch much of a price. Paid the same for 2x NOS Ateks as I paid for the other two orphans; although in my defense, I bought two pair of rims, and two orphans shipped. Which is fine; whatever, you win. And although sometimes it seems I'm running a rim orphanage in my storage shed, hope springs eternal. I finally matched up my X221; an example I hold forth to my spouse, who smiles politely. In this, I am like my Dad, who never threw out a tie. "They will come back eventually," he said, and he was right. And he lived through some terrible times, tie-wise, in the 70's. A testament to perseverance.

Getting these things tensioned up properly should be an interesting challenge. But they sure are pretty

Attachments

• atek.jpg
    atek.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 8
Ha! Score. Campy rims are *really* hard to come by in the US, but oddly don't seem to fetch much of a price. Paid the same for 2x NOS Ateks as I paid for the other two orphans; although in my defense, I bought two pair of rims, and two orphans shipped. Which is fine; whatever, you win. And although sometimes it seems I'm running a rim orphanage in my storage shed, hope springs eternal. I finally matched up my X221; an example I hold forth to my spouse, who smiles politely. In this, I am like my Dad, who never threw out a tie. "They will come back eventually," he said, and he was right. And he lived through some terrible times, tie-wise, in the 70's. A testament to perseverance.

Getting these things tensioned up properly should be an interesting challenge. But they sure are pretty
😂👍🏻

An Italian chick who is moody, temperamental and high-maintenance but beautiful and sexy. I rebuilt a Ducati 900 once, and am familiar with that dance. Great legs. By Marzocchi, of course
Hahaha! Damn right
According to my Italian friend, Italian girls want drama and an excuse for more of it as well!

And that Ducati is a beauty!! One day I’ll own one

Got the forks apart. Hot tip: a valve extension -- like for RV or 18-wheeler tires -- gives you enough purchase to get the air piston out. Other than that one stanchion, the innards look good. Polishing away. Oven cleaner doesn't do diddly squat in terms of removing anodizing but we are getting there. The lower on the left used to be the bad one, with deep gouges in it. Kinda cool taking something that could a wound up in the trash heap and bringing it back to life.

Good trip to the thrift store, scored a Sachs 7-spd freewheel and a canti hanger. They had some nice XT thumbies but I'm kinda holding out for suntour. They had an XTR cassette, shoulda bought that, although I don't quite have an XTR hub yet, and at some point I gotta stop buying stuff and start building stuff. Could not find a 26.4 seatpost -- wtf is up with that anyway. I'm gonna measure again when I get the frame back

Attachments

• PXL_20230203_182024392.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230203_182024392.MP.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 15
Got the forks apart. Hot tip: a valve extension -- like for RV or 18-wheeler tires -- gives you enough purchase to get the air piston out. Other than that one stanchion, the innards look good. Polishing away. Oven cleaner doesn't do diddly squat in terms of removing anodizing but we are getting there. The lower on the left used to be the bad one, with deep gouges in it. Kinda cool taking something that could a wound up in the trash heap and bringing it back to life.

Good trip to the thrift store, scored a Sachs 7-spd freewheel and a canti hanger. They had some nice XT thumbies but I'm kinda holding out for suntour. They had an XTR cassette, shoulda bought that, although I don't quite have an XTR hub yet, and at some point I gotta stop buying stuff and start building stuff. Could not find a 26.4 seatpost -- wtf is up with that anyway. I'm gonna measure again when I get the frame back
Hehe! Your posts are always a great read!
The longest running build thread to my knowledge is 10 years by @kingoffootball

Back